Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 15 (666 Views)

Camera Connection Failed

Product Name: HP 3D SLS Dual Camera
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I had my setup working fine with 1 camera.  Then I went to setup my 2nd camera.  Connected everything and then started the computer, then started the scan software.

At first it saw only the one original camera.  Then I closed the application and started again and then it saw both cameras and after another re-start of the software... it listed both cameras and displayed both cameras in the camera control list (but it never showed live views of both cameras at the same time... always one showing output and the other showing an X across the window).

The live view would display camera1 (the original).  Then if I clicked on the 2nd camera, the live view would show that view instead.  Then I restarted the software again and this time the original camera1 says 'Camera Connection failed'.  I have unplugged the camera2 cable and re-booted several times and the camera1 still says failed.

Any idea how to reset whatever config file is not letting camera1 function properly?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Intern
Message 2 of 15 (652 Views)

Re: Camera Connection Failed

OK, after several re-starts of the software and unplugging and replugging of the camera1 cable... the scanner is functioning again with 1 camera.

If I have both cameras plugged in and both cameras are recognized in the software and turned ON, the 2 camera control displays both display an X and no picture.  If I have only 1 camera turned ON, then that camera's view in the camera control window is shown.

I can't get both cameras to be ON and display both camera views in the camera control at the same time.

How can I get both cameras working within the software?

Thanks!

Grad Student
Message 3 of 15 (632 Views)

[ Edited ]

USB bandwidth is making problems for you. If the camera does not have enough bandwidth it will automatically turn off. Try different USB ports, be sure that you are using USB 3 ports. Check this thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/3D-Scanning/Unable-to-get-the-advertised-SLS-3-Scan-time/td-p/6316368

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
Grad Student
Message 4 of 15 (630 Views)

I forgot to say you should first test each cam with single cam setup, if everything is OK then proceed to step 2 (previous post).

I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 5 of 15 (620 Views)

Thanks for the ideas!

I am able to make each camera work individually.  I think you are right... I think it is a USB problem/limitation.  I am trying to determine which (if any) of my USB ports are USB 3.  There are 3 USB ports on this laptop.  I think that 1 port may be USB3.  I may need to get a USB 3 adapter to add more USB 3 ports.

Thanks again.

Intern
Message 6 of 15 (558 Views)

OK, I got an ExpressCard USB3 card installed into the laptop.  The card installed fine, the drivers installed fine and it is running.

I plugged both camera cables into the ports of the USB3 card.

Now when I run the Scan Pro software, both cameras are shown in the list and act properly... they do not show as failed, I can turn them OFF and ON, etc.  The only problem is, in the live view there is no camera image shown and in the Camera Control list there are no camera images shown.

Even when I have only 1 camera plugged into the USB3 card, there is no camera image shown in live view or in the Camera Control list.

Any idea what I need to do to get the camera images to show?

Thanks!

Intern
Message 7 of 15 (550 Views)

If I take one of the camera cables and remove it from the USB3 card and plug it into a USB2 slot on the laptop, that camera view will be properly displayed in the live view and the Camera Control list.  But the other cable plugged into the USB3 card will still not display an image.

Thanks!

Intern
Message 8 of 15 (543 Views)

OK, so I got both cameras showing an image but the process was weird.

One camera was plugged into a slot on the USB3 card, the other camera was plugged into a USB2 slot.  I started the software and only the USB2 camera was shown.  I closed the software and re-opened the software and both cameras were shown.  I closed the software and moved the camera which was plugged into the USB2 back into the other USB3 slot.  So now both cameras were plugged into USB3 slots.  I started the software again and both cameras are shown at 15fps.  I tried to set frame rate to 30fps and it worked.  Now both cameras are showing at 30fps.  (If I try to go up to 60fps, the software freezes). 

So at this point, both cameras are working at a frame rate limit of 30fps.

Is this a normal framerate for a 2 camera setup or should I be able to go to 60fps?

Why does frame rate even matter in the scanning process?  Shouldn't scanning work with low frame rates such as 10fps?

Thanks!

Grad Student
Message 9 of 15 (512 Views)

If your computer can handle it, you should have 60fps with 2 camera system. You can scan with just 1fps but the it will be slow. Cameras are taking picture of each projected pattern, that means if you are using profile with 60 patterns on full speed you would need about a second, with 1fps you will need about a minute to do that. Can you share specs of your computer please?

I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 10 of 15 (499 Views)

Thanks very much for the info!

This laptop that I am using with the 3D scanner is a Dell Precision Workstation M6500, i7 x920 @ 2 Ghz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 3800M display card.

Unfortunately, when I just turned ON the scanner projector & laptop again and started the scan software... both cameras were seen in the camera list and camera control list but were not showing the camera's outputs again.  I restarted the software several times but the outputs were still not shown.  Then with the software running, I removed each camera cable from the USB3 slots and then inserted just one camera cable.  With Frame Rate Limit at NONE, the one camera output was shown but at 37.9 fps.  Then I plugged in the second camera cable and the camera output is also shown.  But both camera outputs show 16.2 fps.  I left the room and came back and one of the camera ouputs had stopped showing but the other camera output was showing 57.9 fps.  When I tried to change Frame Rate Limit to 60, the software froze again.

Is there an easier procedure that makes the cameras show their outputs (besides plugging/unplugging cables)?  Shouldn't the camera ON/OFF button force an attempt to show outputs?

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation