Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
David 4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

My camera's live-view fps is 29 at 1600*1200.  During scanning, the fps jumps below and above that fps (e.g., from 26.X fps to 30 fps).  When this happens, the scan fails.  It seems to be caused by the projector not in synchronization with the camera.  

This happens often when the camera is just started and not operating at the equilibrium temperature (about 50 C).  The issue goes away after half an hour.  

Is there any method to force the projector and the camera to be synchronized? When this happens, the pattern refreshes quickly and the scan result is a bunch of bad dots all over the place.  So I can tell the scan would fail whenever the pattern projection rate is unexpectedly high.  

Details about the camera: Pointgrey grasshopper 3 Color, projector setup SLS2.  

Note: this issue comes and goes.  I am only hoping to improve the reliability and efficiency so I can plan the time window of scanning.  

Thanks all!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is to follow up the topic because I have identified the issue (or at least one related issue).  The computre uses a NVidea 970M graphic card that provides options to do VSync for the screen.  It has options for VSync during full screen gaiming or both full screen and window gaming.  I changed the option from the first to the second and the problem arises (basically 90% of the scans will fail).  After reverting to the full screen only option, only about 3% of scans will fail.  

About the camera, because of its spec, operating at 50C is about right, can go higher.  I have been using it for over a year so I am not worried.  But thanks for the pointing.  

Conclusion: VSync doesn't work with David, or at least can negatively affect the scanning.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I don´t know any method for camera and projector to be "more synced". Ask Pointgrey support for help with the camera. I think that cam should be working stable in some temperature span.

P.S. I was checking theyr website and operating temperature is 0 to 50 celsius degrees. It seems that your cam is defective.

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
HP Recommended

This is to follow up the topic because I have identified the issue (or at least one related issue).  The computre uses a NVidea 970M graphic card that provides options to do VSync for the screen.  It has options for VSync during full screen gaiming or both full screen and window gaming.  I changed the option from the first to the second and the problem arises (basically 90% of the scans will fail).  After reverting to the full screen only option, only about 3% of scans will fail.  

About the camera, because of its spec, operating at 50C is about right, can go higher.  I have been using it for over a year so I am not worried.  But thanks for the pointing.  

Conclusion: VSync doesn't work with David, or at least can negatively affect the scanning.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.