Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 13 (1,775 Views)

David 5 cannot "see" second PointGrey camera

Product Name: David

I have just purchased two PointGrey Grasshopper cameras to use with David 5.

Before I upgrade to David 5 and purchase the lens, I wanted to try the cameras with David.

I encountered a few problems which I have partially resolved (I will mention in another post if the main problem can be resolved).

Once I was able to correctly scan with David with one camera, I connected the second one. 

Each time a PointGrey box opens up with a choice to select the camera. But then only that camera is avalaible in David.

I then loaded David 5 twice, in each instance of David I was able to have each camera running.

I have  found this note from PointGrey:

Note: You cannot run two cameras at the same time in the same instance of software; however, you can run two instances of software and select different cameras in each.

Question: Is there a setting in David to allow both cameras to run using Directshow 2x ? 

Somehow "tricking" the OS to think that there are two instances running ?

Jeff

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 13 (1,751 Views)

Re: David 5 cannot "see" second PointGrey camera

I was just checking PointGrey website, but it seems that it possible to use multiple cams:

http://www.ptgrey.com/KB/10350

Which model do you have?

I am an HP Employee

**Views expressed are my own, no one else would say such drivel**
Intern
Message 3 of 13 (1,743 Views)

Thanks.

My cameras are Grasshopper 3 : GS3-U3-32S4M-C   /  2048 x 1536 at 121 FPS /  Global shutter / Mono

I have read the page, but I am afraid it applies to the "USB3 Vision" interface standard.  I wish David would also accept that standard, but AFAIK, I must use the cameras through Directshow.

As for Directshow, this is what Point Grey says:

https://www.ptgrey.com/KB/10285

Using DirectShow with multiple Point Grey cameras

Note: You cannot run two cameras at the same time in the same instance of software; however, you can run two instances of software and select different cameras in each.

I have written to Point Grey, but I was also hopping that David has some trick to open two instances of directshow within David 5.

How is it done with Basler and Imagingsource cameras ?

Jeff

Top Student
Message 4 of 13 (1,709 Views)

I have a similar issue. I use a PointGrey Flea3 camera (single camera) with David 5. Previously the Flea3 would be available in the Camera Setup window without any problems.

Recently, I cannot get the PointGrey Flea3 to be recognized by David 5 at all. The camera works fine with Flycapture, so I know that there isn't an issue with the camera. The only thing that I have changed to my computer (Windows 10) is to update the driver for my Nvidia GTX 960 video card (besides any automatic OS updates).

Does anyone have any insight as to why is is happening?

Thanks,

Vince 

Teacher
Message 5 of 13 (1,690 Views)

Maybe to use same trick as for Canon/Nikon dslr. Try to use one cam with sparco cam or something similar and the other one directly in DAVID.

I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 6 of 13 (1,682 Views)

Thanks Drndadoo.

I started testing something similar last night:

A "USB3 Vision" to "Directshow" application. I can also try a "Directshow" to "Directshow" approach.

It kind of works, but not optimal:

The quality of that camera is not as good as the one directly connected to David.

The setup is not straight forward before starting to scan. I do not have full control of the settings of the camera

David can crash if one turn on or off a camera.

Ideally, I would prefer that David accepts the "USB3 Vision" standard. For one, it's a professional interface that does not rely on Microsoft (we saw what happened with the Windows 10 update and Directshow) and allows numerous machine vision cameras.

Anyway, since I have never tested dual Basler or ImagingSource cameras with David, I did not know how this issue was usually handled. I guess this single camera issue is specific to the PointGrey Directshow driver.

I will keep trying to see if I can find a solution.

If there is any hidden setting in David that would allow two instance of Directshow, please let me know.

Jeff

Intern
Message 7 of 13 (1,673 Views)

[ Edited ]

Drndaddo,

Here is the answer from PointGrey:

"I understand this will cause issues with your David software. Unless they have another interface like a USB3 Vision interface or a Point Grey wrapper to work with the camera, I do not believe there is a solution we can offer you at the moment for multiple cameras in their software."

Any chance that David will support "USB3 Vision" in the near future ?

Jeff

Teacher
Message 8 of 13 (1,656 Views)

I don´t have any plans about future development, but if "USB 3 vision" will play significant role in technology then I have no doubts that HP will implement that in scanning software.

I am an HP Employee

Tutor
Message 9 of 13 (1,618 Views)

Using 2 Imaging Source Cameras works fine. Seems like they considered multiple cameras.

Intern
Message 10 of 13 (1,612 Views)

[ Edited ]

PointGrey does support multi-camera configuration but using the industry standard "USB3 Vision" but not the OS specific. "Directshow".

It is a shame since I have no problem openning two instances of David, each viewing one of the two cameras.

The tech support of Greypoint has been very good, but there are no plans to modify their Directshow driver.

And I don't imagine that David will try to modify the software just for me.

I will try to sell one of the PointGrey and purchase the identical (chip, resolution, fps) one from Imaging Source.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation