Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 14 (1,873 Views)

David Enhancement Request!

David People:

Could you please Re-Enhance David with the "Align to Previous" function that was in David (now HP) 4 and taken out in David (now HP) 5?

0 Kudos
Top Student
Message 2 of 14 (1,818 Views)

Re: David Enhancement Request!

I'd also like to request more camera controls such as rotation allowing camera to view upside down (having camera mounted upside down)

IMG_2044.jpg

Order which camera on the side preview instead of having it automatically sorted via usbID? It's confusing if i can't order it w/o having to move camera's around. Not ideal when the setup is fixed

Also regarding camera, sometimes they don't show up comming from usb2 port and needs to be disconnected/reconnected to show up when starting the program; this causes it to loose the camera settings.

Top Student
Message 3 of 14 (1,809 Views)

Hi micr0,

Please look at Manual Scan Sequence mode. All scans made during a sequence will be automatically "aligned to previous".

If you are moving the object on a table while the bottom side always stays at the bottom, you can choose "Horizontal Turns" for your sequence. Then after the sequence is aligned, the software will check if the alignment fits to your movement restraint, and correct it if necessary ("auto repair"). That works very well in many cases.

If you have a manual turntable (i.e., in your sequence all movements have a common rotation axis), you should choose "manual turntable". Then the auto-repair considers that.

Sven

I am an HP employee.
Intern
Message 4 of 14 (1,787 Views)

SvenMo wrote:

Hi micr0,

Please look at Manual Scan Sequence mode. All scans made during a sequence will be automatically "aligned to previous".

If you are moving the object on a table while the bottom side always stays at the bottom, you can choose "Horizontal Turns" for your sequence. Then after the sequence is aligned, the software will check if the alignment fits to your movement restraint, and correct it if necessary ("auto repair"). That works very well in many cases.

If you have a manual turntable (i.e., in your sequence all movements have a common rotation axis), you should choose "manual turntable". Then the auto-repair considers that.

Sven

Thank you Sven. Manual Scan Sequence (MSS) has some issues when using two cameras in extended view mode. Also if after scanning a sequence of say 30deg rotations (resulting in 24 scans) one scans fails to find alignment, then the following scans may be aligned to the failed scan, requiring a complete manual re alignment anyway. This happens to me very often and causes a significant amount of wasted time. It is also frustrating to find scan distortion/alignment issues after having to wait for 24 scans to align. I made my request for the return of Align to previous after using the MSS function quite a bit. In fact I will continue to use MSS as it does work (generally), It's just that I believe that Align to Previous works better for me.

FWIW this issue really was made prominent on the last project I did. The object I'm scanning is an abstract modern art sculpture that is the size of a small box truck. The calibration panels I made are 2000mm. I have nearly 160 "speed mode" scans that result in a project file that is a little over 15Gb. Because of the complexity of the object, I found myself scanning it in 5 scan segments and manually aligning after each 5. Scan to previous would have saved me a lot of time as I had to check each scan alignment as I went.

P.S. I'm still holding out hope for a "white light" function. Smiley Very Happy

Tutor
Message 5 of 14 (1,728 Views)

@Micro: If a single alignment fails, you should be left with to blocks of scans, where all scans inside one block are correctly aligned but only the two blocks don't fit. Can you group each correctly aligned sequence into a group and then align the groups?

Top Student
Message 6 of 14 (1,720 Views)

Hi micr0,

Did you see the "Align Sequence" command in the right-click menu on Shapefusion List of Scans? It may help you align a large number of scans. 

It also has the concept of "sequences" and allows you to define restrictions for each sequence, e.g. a sequence of scans that has the same rotation axis ("Manual turntable" mode).

The procedure is that it first aligns all scans to their previous scans, and THEN detects if some alignments went wrong (do not fit to the common rotation axis), THEN tries to repair those alignments. So when you watch it work, do not cancel too early.

Sven

I am an HP employee.
Top Student
Message 7 of 14 (1,717 Views)

@micr0 What do you mean by "white light function"?

I am an HP employee.
Intern
Message 8 of 14 (1,696 Views)

SvenMo wrote:

@micr0 What do you mean by "white light function"?

Often it would be useful if there was a function in David where by you could have the projector project only white light. Often while setting up  or during scanning, one needs to look at what the camera "sees" to see if a particular feature or detail is going to be captured. Often this can be difficult to see when the scan subject is illuminated by only the bar pattern. I scan in a dark room, so in order to get around this problem I either have to turn on the room lights (across the room and not fun for the eyes), or I have a blank word document open and I drag it to monitor #2 (projector) so I can see the scan subject momentarily illuminated without the pattern.

Thanks

P.S. This is the 3rd time you have asked me what I meant by a "White Light Button". Smiley Happy (see David legacy forum)

P.P.S. I just got trolled, didn't I? I can be slow to catch on sometimes. Smiley Wink

Intern
Message 9 of 14 (1,675 Views)

SvenMo wrote:

Hi micr0,

Did you see the "Align Sequence" command in the right-click menu on Shapefusion List of Scans? It may help you align a large number of scans. 

It also has the concept of "sequences" and allows you to define restrictions for each sequence, e.g. a sequence of scans that has the same rotation axis ("Manual turntable" mode).

The procedure is that it first aligns all scans to their previous scans, and THEN detects if some alignments went wrong (do not fit to the common rotation axis), THEN tries to repair those alignments. So when you watch it work, do not cancel too early.

Sven

Thanks Sven,

I'll try this when I get a chance. I only had a very short time to use David today and so I installed 5.1 and I'll post more on that when I can.

Intern
Message 10 of 14 (1,653 Views)

SvenMo wrote:

I am just given it a try. Seems to be a VERY useful addition. It's working fast and well !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation