Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Intern
Message 1 of 7 (783 Views)

Display Card Question

Product Name: HP 3D SLS Dual Camera
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am a total newbie to 3D scanning and I am awaiting delivery of my new scanner.  When I receive the scanner, I need to get up and running quickly as I have an immediate project I need it for.  So even though I will have the dual camera setup (with turntable), I may only setup one camera at first to complete this project.

But I have a question regarding setup.  I have several  different workstations and haven't decided which one will be used with the new scanner.

I would like to use my Dell Precision Workstation laptop (Nvidia Quadro 3800M) to drive the scanner but it only has 3 USB ports and one of them is occupied by the mouse... so essentially, only 2 USB ports will be available on this computer.

I also have an older Dell Precision Workstation (Nvidia Quadro 3400) which has plently of USB ports (but I may have to swap out some software dongles to make ports available).

My main workstation (dual Quadro 5000s)-I built this one- has numerous USB ports (but I may have to remove some other software dongles to accomodate the 3D scanner).

My questions are...

1.  On this main workstation, the dual Quadro 5000s drive a 4 monitor desktop.  If I had to use this workstation to drive the 3D scanner, will my dual Quadro 5000s somehow prohibit the scanner setup?  Would I have to disable one of the cards to use the scanner?

2.  How many USB ports are needed for one camera and the turntable?  I'm guessing only 2?

Thanks!

Mike

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 7 (769 Views)

Re: Display Card Question

How many USB ports are needed:

1x USB Dongle

1x Turntable

1x Cam

1x Cam (2 camera setup)

Watch out if you have HP 3D Pro S3 scanner, you need to use USB 3 ports. Hub is always interesting solution.

I do not see the reason that scanner setup will not work. You will need to use projector as extended display. That could be tricky if you have a lot of monitors connected. 

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
Intern
Message 3 of 7 (764 Views)

Thanks very much for the info!

A hub sounds like the best solution for keeping it simple and using my laptop.  I will post an update after I receive my 3D scanner and get things configured.

Thanks again.

Mike

Grad Student
Message 4 of 7 (740 Views)

I was using scanner with 3 monitors (1 of them was projector). Easy to set up.

Step 1: Identify monitors

Step 2: Duplicate monitors that you want to use for software GUI (or don´t if you want to use them for something else)

Step 3: Set projector as extended display

Step 4: in HP 3D software choose projector

It would be similar if you have even more monitors.

I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 5 of 7 (731 Views)

Thanks very much for these tips... I will look into this when I receive and setup the scanner.

The multi-moniter workstation is definitely my most powerful system (does the scanner software benefit from systems with more RAM?).  The laptop might be easiest to setup initially.

Thanks again.

Grad Student
Message 6 of 7 (701 Views)

More RAM = better, but I personally would buy some cheap laptop and I would use it just for scanning. After scanning is done you can transfer your project to workstation and clean your scans, align them, fuse them...

I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 7 of 7 (693 Views)

Thanks for the info!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation