Intern
Intern
37 2 1
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Display Card Question

HP 3D SLS Dual Camera
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am a total newbie to 3D scanning and I am awaiting delivery of my new scanner.  When I receive the scanner, I need to get up and running quickly as I have an immediate project I need it for.  So even though I will have the dual camera setup (with turntable), I may only setup one camera at first to complete this project.

But I have a question regarding setup.  I have several  different workstations and haven't decided which one will be used with the new scanner.

I would like to use my Dell Precision Workstation laptop (Nvidia Quadro 3800M) to drive the scanner but it only has 3 USB ports and one of them is occupied by the mouse... so essentially, only 2 USB ports will be available on this computer.

I also have an older Dell Precision Workstation (Nvidia Quadro 3400) which has plently of USB ports (but I may have to swap out some software dongles to make ports available).

My main workstation (dual Quadro 5000s)-I built this one- has numerous USB ports (but I may have to remove some other software dongles to accomodate the 3D scanner).

My questions are...

1.  On this main workstation, the dual Quadro 5000s drive a 4 monitor desktop.  If I had to use this workstation to drive the 3D scanner, will my dual Quadro 5000s somehow prohibit the scanner setup?  Would I have to disable one of the cards to use the scanner?

2.  How many USB ports are needed for one camera and the turntable?  I'm guessing only 2?

Thanks!

Mike

6 REPLIES
Grad Student
Grad Student
317 19 31
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post

Display Card Question

How many USB ports are needed:

1x USB Dongle

1x Turntable

1x Cam

1x Cam (2 camera setup)

Watch out if you have HP 3D Pro S3 scanner, you need to use USB 3 ports. Hub is always interesting solution.

I do not see the reason that scanner setup will not work. You will need to use projector as extended display. That could be tricky if you have a lot of monitors connected. 

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
37 2 1
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post

Display Card Question

Thanks very much for the info!

A hub sounds like the best solution for keeping it simple and using my laptop.  I will post an update after I receive my 3D scanner and get things configured.

Thanks again.

Mike

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Grad Student
317 19 31
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post

Display Card Question

I was using scanner with 3 monitors (1 of them was projector). Easy to set up.

Step 1: Identify monitors

Step 2: Duplicate monitors that you want to use for software GUI (or don´t if you want to use them for something else)

Step 3: Set projector as extended display

Step 4: in HP 3D software choose projector

It would be similar if you have even more monitors.

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
37 2 1
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post

Display Card Question

Thanks very much for these tips... I will look into this when I receive and setup the scanner.

The multi-moniter workstation is definitely my most powerful system (does the scanner software benefit from systems with more RAM?).  The laptop might be easiest to setup initially.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Grad Student
317 19 31
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post

Display Card Question

More RAM = better, but I personally would buy some cheap laptop and I would use it just for scanning. After scanning is done you can transfer your project to workstation and clean your scans, align them, fuse them...

I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
37 2 1
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post

Display Card Question

Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation