Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 9 (1,446 Views)

Duo Basler camera's not recognized

Product Name: David sis
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I tried to connect two Basler ace 1920-25um camera's to David 5 but only one is recognized. Scanning with only one basler camera works perfect. The basler camera's are conected with USB3.

I saw an item from someone with the same problem in this forum but it has never being answered.

When I start up two instances of the David 5 software each instance recognizes one camera. So both camera's work but not on the same time. Has anyone a solution for this problem or do I need to purchase other camera's?

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 9 (1,434 Views)

Re: Duo Basler camera's not recognized

You can check this thread here, it is other type of cam but solution could work for you too:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/3D-Scanning/PointGrey-Flea3-not-being-recognized-in-David-5/td-p/58887...

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
Honor Student
Message 3 of 9 (1,424 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately it doesn't work. In the list of camera's both camera's are listed but David 5 can only connect with one of them. A other problem when I installed Manycams is that my scan button got greyed out, so I can't scan anymore. When I removed the software then I could scan again.  

Intern
Message 4 of 9 (1,404 Views)

Sorry Drndadoo, but I completely disagree.

For one, the problem I encoutered was specific to the pointGrey driver.

The first step would be for ktmXC to write to Basler and have them confirm that their Direct show implementation allows multiple cameras in a single instance of a software (wich is not the case for PointGrey).

All other solutions are NOT professional and in the end useless. Slow and to complicated to implement. Many years back when ewe were "playing" with a low cost software, it was worth the trouble/fun but not anymore. Considering the new pricing of David and the price of these cameras, the only good way to proceed is to have two cameras working in David immediately.

Tibor has always been using Basler but I don't know if he uses David 5

Grad Student
Message 5 of 9 (1,398 Views)

You are right, that would be long term solution. I was just offering quick help, so that he can use the scanner. It is so frustrating when you have all components and you can´t use the system. 

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
Intern
Message 6 of 9 (1,396 Views)

If Basler driver does not support multi camera using Direct show, you could purchase a camera from Imaging source with the EXACT same chip (often made by Sony) and same color (I mean color or B&W as per your cameras).

If the price is ok, try to get one on loan before committing.

If Basler DOES have multi camera support using Direct show, it might just be a configuration file problem in David.

Honor Student
Message 7 of 9 (1,050 Views)

Thanks for the tips.

I asked Basler but they don't support multi camara's in there software. (in combination with Direct View).

So I have to look out for other camera's.

Thanks anyway

Intern
Message 8 of 9 (1,041 Views)

A better solution would be for HP 3D to adapt the an industry standard instead of Directshow (Microsoft) which is outdated and not really supported by MS anymore..

e.g.  The USBVision standard

The USB3 Vision committee was formed in 2011 with the purpose of creating and managing a camera control and streaming standard for USB 3.1 cameras. The committee wanted to build on the existing standardization effort, made possible by GigE Vision. GigE Vision is a standard designed for Ethernet cameras and developed based on GenICam that has gained popularity over the last several years. The GigE Vision standard defines a stream and control protocol, which leverages the success of GenICam by relying on a standard format naming convention (SFNC) to maintain consistency in functionality and attribute naming.

USB3 Vision, which was finalized and released on January 18, 2013, also uses GenICam. This benefits both camera users and software vendors. On the camera side, you only need to familiarize yourself with one set of camera attributes and controls. On the software side, the software only needs to support a single set of standard attributes and controls, allowing you to use any USB3 Vision compliant camera with the software. Camera vendors such as Point Grey have been shipping their cameras with USB3 Vision support since August 2013, with software vendors such as National Instruments and A&B Software releasing their software with support for USB3 Vision cameras as well.

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 9 of 9 (737 Views)

There is a new version of Basler direct show filter drivers which also supports multiple cameras. It is a beta but it is working well. I just tested it. So Basler is working on it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation