Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Industrial use for HP SLS 3

HP SLS 3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I work for a factory where we are trying to start a new 3D scanning and printing program for parts on our machines.  I was wondering if anyone else is using this for this purpose and what your experience may have been.  Are the scans accurate enough to replicate parts (anything from handles, gears, or parts we use to sort bottles)?   We use SolidWorks as our main CAD program; does anyone know anything about how well data can be transferred and used between the programs or have you run into any problems?

1 REPLY
WaldoPepper99 Tutor
Tutor
8 0 2
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Industrial use for HP SLS 3

You may wonder why there is not much of a response to your question. I assume this is because the question you asked is not so easy to answer ;-)

Just a short description of my take on this (may be other will chime in): printing from scanned data directly can be hard. VERY hard. Who ever has really tried it, will know.

Either you need a lot of time (to learn at least one of the tools available) or experience (with one of the tools) or money (to buy a good tool and the training).

From a broad perspective there are two ways to do it: rework the mesh to make it printable (involves a lot of mesh-work) or reverse-engineer the mesh to a BREP or NURBS representation which can easily be meshed again and printed.

For the first way, you need an excellent mesh as a starting point, for the second way even something ugly can suffice.

The second way will leave you with something you can change e.g. with Solidworks (or any other CAD software) easily, the first way will leave you with a mesh (most commonly *.stl) which can be viewed by most CAD programs, put changed only by a few.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation