Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (1,559 Views)

Micro Scan

Product Name: David Scan SLS 2

We are a factory of miniatures. We want to scan our miniatures (2cm maximum in height) with details of 4,5 milimeters.

I read about assemble a macro in my projector and a zoom lens in my camera.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130321-diy-virtuzoom-microscope-3d-scanner-for-miniature-objects.htm...

We work with the equipment that comes david scan.

What do you think about this? Anyone prove it? Do you have any solution?

Thank you for all!

Teacher
Message 2 of 8 (1,539 Views)

Re: Micro Scan

There is an example of the extreme micro scanning in the old DAVID forum, you can take a look here:

http://forum.david-3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4491&p=23046#p23046

Hope this helps.

I am an HP Employee

**Views expressed are my own, no one else would say such drivel**
Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (1,532 Views)

I saw this time ago. We get this results in flat surfaces, but in organic surfaces the result is not good. We need more detail when we want scanning a human miniature

Thanks!

Intern
Message 4 of 8 (1,513 Views)

Unless you buy the Davild SLS kit AND work within it's designed capabilities then David is not plug and play (mostly). That said, David software is extremely flexible but doing what you want will take effort and time ($ too) on your part. I have scanned parts as tall as 18mm with good results. However the camera lenses I'm using are very not cheap, and getting a clean, focused projected image small enough to work was difficult. IMO it was the projector that is the weak link in macro scanning as they just are not designed (even with add on lenses) to project that small. I also ran into a problem being able to physically get the camera and projector close enough to each other to allow the camera to see into the negative spaces well. YMMV µ
Honor Student
Message 5 of 8 (1,414 Views)

Can you tell me what kind of macro and zoom I need?

Thank a lot
Intern
Message 6 of 8 (1,356 Views)

The Fujinon lenses (not specifically macro) I'm using are able to focus down to about 60mm.
Honor Student
Message 7 of 8 (938 Views)

I don´t know what is the model of the david SlS2 camera. Can you told me the exact model of your Fujinon lenses?

Im going to buy this too  for my projector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/37mm-Digital-1-2-4-10-magnification-Close-Up-Macro-Filter-Lens-carry-case-/1...Smiley Surprised

I see that I can installing a second camera in my scan. What do you think about it? Can we have better results?

Thanks

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 8 of 8 (730 Views)

I am in a similar situation, I am looking to image some invertebrates for taxonomy (the cool newish field of cybertaxonomy).

I have the DAVIDS SLS system (DAVID 5), two cameras (David Cam 3 & 4, same lenses), ACER projector and turntable. I am using a DELL laptop (Core i7-6700HQ@ 2.6Ghz, 16gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M).

The dual camera system does not work very well – the DAVID Cam 3 does not have the resolution of the DAVID Cam 4.

My intended cheap-ass workaround:

1. Discard the kit cameras/lenses and use a Canon DSLR with Macro lens to increase resolution (better sensor & optics). I have tried this already as I had access to the camera and lens. However, the DAVIDS software is not recognising the DSLR so I am using third party software, SPARKOCAM. This is not ideal as it negates the sensor qualities of the DSLR but still allows me to use the better optics. An alternative would be to buy a better industrial camera with extension tubes/better c-mount lenses (costs money, which as a poverty-stricken taxonomist I do not have), advice would be helpful here.
  2. Print out new calibration panel (15mm scale). Any advice on how to do this?
  3. Diopter in front of projector lens (have yet to do this, advice on brands, types etc). Advice here as well please. If a better projector is the key, then can I get suggestions.
  4. A big issue I have is with glare, I am thinking of attaching a polarising filter (Cokin)to the macro lens.

I should have some results over the next few weeks, but if anybody has advice or has solved some of these issues then help is greatly appreciated (no need to reinvent the wheel).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation