Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 9 (907 Views)

PC Hardware To Achieve Decent Performance

Product Name: S3 3D Scanner
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am new to the realm of 3D scanning and in the education/research phase prior to making a purchase. I would like some clarity on some conflicting opinions I hace been reading online regarding hardware requirements for 3D scanning and in particular the HP V5.3 software. I am on a budget and realize there is a point of diminishing returns so I prefer to build a system in the mid-range of performance/cost spectrum. The goal is to scan lifesize sculptures of newborn babies and print a copy of the sculpture on a 3D printer.

1. Reccomended CPU
    1. Does the HP software enefit from multi-core CPU or is it mainly single thread application?
    2. Any compatiblity issues known for AMD vs Intel
    3. Any reccomendations for solid mid-range performer.
  2. Grafics card. nVidia GEFORCE GTX vs one if the Quadro line (I see a lot of reccomendation for Quadro crds for CAD systems).
  3. I have also seen some recommendations to have a cheaper machine for the scanning and a workhorse to export the files to. What staqge in the 3D scan-to-3D Print process require the gratest computing power?
  4. Any and all sugestions/opinions welcome.

Thank you for your time

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 9 (882 Views)

Re: PC Hardware To Achieve Decent Performance

More CPU power = faster scanning. Just keep an eye on the USB controller, you should avoid AVMedia USB controllers, it doesn´t work well with our cameras.  I am scanning with HP Elitebook it´s pretty good, I was also trying Z 2 mini workstation and it is excellent.

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
Honor Student
Message 3 of 9 (841 Views)

I apreciate your information regarding the USB controller. Very useful information however you adressed only one of my many questions? Your CPU comment is not very useful. Yes a more powerful CPU will process data faster however when it comes to CPUs with multiple cores, the majority of the additional speed depends on the software's ability to utilize those extra cores. If the majority of the software is using single threads you are not going to see much advantage spending an extra $400 to go from 8 cores to 10 cores. Is the HP software multi-thread?

Grad Student
Message 4 of 9 (815 Views)

I am not sure how many details I can give as a public information, but you will have benefit from more cores. Confirmed with developers.

I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 5 of 9 (805 Views)

[ Edited ]

In a world where not much software uses all cores... here's a screengrab of cores during the Fusion process... very gratifying.

cores_during_fusion_screengrab.jpgperformance during Fusion process

Thank you developers!!

Honor Student
Message 6 of 9 (795 Views)

@Tru3DScans

I do not see a pic of your screen grab. I would be very interested in seeing that if you could re-post please.

Intern
Message 7 of 9 (792 Views)

Hmmm... weird.  I see the screengrab in the thread just fine.  Anyway... here it is again.

cores_during_fusion_screengrab.jpgperformance during Fusion process

Grad Student
Message 8 of 9 (775 Views)

Wow, that is something, thank you for sharing. My recommendation would be to use some entry level gaming laptop just for scanning. After scanning is done you can transfer your projects onto workstation for cleaning, alignment and fusion. With laptop you have mobility to go out of the office or lab and scan. Workstation in office can give you enough power for everything else and you can have additional software for printing or modeling. That will not have impact on a scanning computer.  This is costly combo but very effective.  I am using HP Elitebook G3 for scanning. It works very well and it is 14" super mobile laptop. Now I am trying to get Z 2 mini as an office computer so I can edit scans and fuse them. That would be a great combo.

I also do not see pictures immediately after they are posted. Probably it takes some time for pics to be approved.

I am an HP Employee

Intern
Message 9 of 9 (764 Views)

Yes, that screengrab is from my workstation where I work on scans.  (There are actually 8 more cores to be used but it is a multi-boot system and I wasn't booted into the config with the most cores at the time).

I use my Dell Precision Workstation M6500 laptop for scanning and this works fine.  (It will not scan at 60fps... only at 40fps but this is an older laptop so maybe it can't handle it).

Thanks again developers!

Mike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation