Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 10 (1,572 Views)

Planeless scanning and object Position

Product Name: david laser scanner kit 1
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all!

I'm new to this forum, this is my first post.

I bought an second-handed starter kit david scanner the one with the logitech pro9000.

Maybe it's a little bit an old hardwere/softwere but coming from kinect xbone i very appreciate the precision and definition even in little object that kinect can't reach.

I wiling to digitalizing my motorbike an NX 650 Dominator 88, i'm going to scanning the parts separate and after reverse to obatin a CAD file for assembly the parts.

I'm starting from the hulls and i thought that is better scan without the panel, because the hull positioned nearest the calibrtion panel when turning could hit and remain blocked by the calibration panel ..... but i have been stopped from a question,

after calibrating laser and the camera, the panels can be removed, but the parts where have to been placed?

in a position that is howerver in front of the imaginary panel calibration, even when turning  or i have to put near as possibile to the vertex of the immaginary panel (for maintein acceptable focus distance of camera)?

The parts so positioned when turning and exceeding the immaginary panel are scanned correctly or not?

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 10 (1,548 Views)

Re: Planeless scanning and object Position

You can´t use Starter Kit without calibration panels in background. In order to get  a scan it is mandatory to have calibration panel behind scanned object. You can check the DAVID Wiki, it´s still available:

http://wiki.david-3d.com/david3_user_manual/camera_calibration

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
Honor Student
Message 3 of 10 (1,491 Views)

I'm pretty sure that i can do it, i have the 2.3 version of david, and here in FAQ is written that can be done with also a tutorial.

Still sure that i can't ?

Grad Student
Message 4 of 10 (1,477 Views)

You are right, I am not so familiar with the laser scanning and old versions of DAVID.

Here is a quote:

"Since DAVID version 2.2, it is possible to scan objects without the background corner (two planes) in the scene! However you can not scan by hand, but you will need a precisely repeatable laser motion, e.g. by using a linear or rotating laser drive or by projecting a moving thin line by a video projector."

http://wiki.david-3d.com/user_manual/scanning_without_background

I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 5 of 10 (1,467 Views)

Clarified that i cand do, as asked in the first post how the objet should be positioned  regard the immaginary position of the calibration panel? in totally front of the panel or in the center between the two panel?

Grad Student
Message 6 of 10 (1,449 Views)

Probably in the center between 2 panels, but you should test this..

I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 7 of 10 (701 Views)

Hello,

I own David v3, and was interested in "planeles" o panel-less scanning... Looking up this and the old forum I found this link to the wiki, but it seems to be unavailable (message 404):

http://wiki.david-3d.com/user_manual/scanning_without_background

Would it be possible to have this resource back online, or a pdf copy of its contents?

Thanks in advance

Arturo

Grad Student
Message 8 of 10 (690 Views)

I am trying to attach a PDF file, part of the back up of DAVID wiki webpage. Hope that helps. 

I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 9 of 10 (684 Views)

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

It would be great if the info in the wiki were availble somewhere... there's a bunch of us still with the older versions of David... :)

Honor Student
Message 10 of 10 (680 Views)

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

It would be great if the info in the wiki were availble somewhere... there's a bunch of us still with the older versions of David... :)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation