Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (210 Views)

Trouble with curvature in lower right part of scan

Product Name: HP 3D Scan Software
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm encountering a problem scanning larger objects.  I'm getting some concave curvature when scanning larger objects. The size is about 17 inches.

The test results are generally flat but the lower right area of the scan curls out a bit, making it difficult to overlap adjacent scans.

I'm  using the factory glass panels along with an Acer K132 projector and Logitech 920 camera.

I've tried different light settings, I've tried swapping cameras. The calibration panels are as square as can be imagined.

What should I try next?

0 Kudos
Grad Student
Message 2 of 7 (189 Views)

Re: Trouble with curvature in lower right part of scan

Can you rotate your cam for 90 degrees and make new scans? See if scans will be distorted in the same corner?

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (150 Views)

I rotated the camera, and I am still getting curvature. The entire width of the scanned area has  some curvature, but it is more pronounced in the right side

Grad Student
Message 4 of 7 (134 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, can youplease check projector settings?

Menu > Image > Autokeystone = off, Manual Keystone = 0

Projection location = table

All "auto" features of your cam should be off, like autofocus and so on... 

I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 5 of 7 (121 Views)

I checked the settings and all are set as they should be.

Grad Student
Message 6 of 7 (110 Views)

What kind of object are you scanning, what size? Is the area with curves rotating together with cam? I am running out of ideas, but it seems that some of "auto" features of your cam are changing cam settings after the calibration. 

I am an HP Employee

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 7 of 7 (63 Views)

The object is a car door panel. Its over a meter long. It’s curvature is mainly in one direction, but it does have slightly compound curvature. I calibrated the scanner with 240mm scale panels. I bonded pyramid shaped objects to the surface to help with scan alignment. I’ve been using straight pieces of aluminum coated with spot-check to test for curvature in the scan. I had a sudden computer failure early in the week so I haven’t been able to do more tests but I believe all of the auto features were turned off on the cam.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation