Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (302 Views)

Unable to get satisfying scan result (David SLS-2)

Product Name: David SLS-2
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've got a David SLS-2 3D scanner with a David Cam 3.1 M. I'm trying to get a satisfying scan result for a few days now. To get started, I'v used a Lego Minifigure, but the quality of the scan is not what I expected. I'm sure there are some configuration errors I made, because I've seen much better result from people using the same hardware. Or is it a calibration error? I've attached a few screenshot. Any help or tip is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jan

scan.PNGscan-setup.PNGscan-scanning.PNG

0 Kudos
Honor Student
Message 2 of 7 (288 Views)

Re: Unable to get satisfying scan result (David SLS-2)

Hello,
Did you make the appropriate adjustments and calibration correctly?
There's nothing wrong with the connections, is there?
I think that you can access the information on setting, calibration and 3d scanning, from the content on the link.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-3d-structured-light-scanner/14169438/how-to
Best regards.

Ali Osman GÜLER

Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (272 Views)

I think I did set it up correctly. I watched some videos on youtube regarding the setup and did the calibration quite a few times. Thanks for the link, I have the original printed manual but will definately have a look at the online manuel. Maybe there are some updates.

How far away would you place the object from the camera? I think maybe the image or projected pattern isn't sharp enough.

Will try again this afternoon and post some updated pictures.

Grad Student
Message 4 of 7 (265 Views)

When you are fusing an object unthick the "close holes" option and increase resolution from 500 to at least 1000. I see that you made 24 scans in 360 degree cycle that could be too much, try with 6 to 8 scans and compare results.

Your object should be on exact same plase where calibration corner was and pattern should be sharp.

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
Honor Student
Message 5 of 7 (234 Views)

Hi,

I did some adjustments, tried different options while calibrating the scanner. The result is better, but not as good as I would like it to be. Is the 3.1 MP cam the limiting factor or should I be able to get better results using this setup?

I'm using the David turntable to automate the mentioned 24 scans. Shouldn't it be more accurate if I'm using more scans? 

What can I do about the holes? 

And are there any recommendations for a software to further process/edit the scan?

Thanks,

Jan

scan2.PNG

Honor Student
Message 6 of 7 (216 Views)

Hi eol42,

According to the first process, there is quite good progress.
But you should do better alignment. In part it is not correct alignment of the leg poses. Multiple scan exposures will not overlap, alignment in shape. When you do these things correctly you will get better results.

Best Regards.

Ali Osman GÜLER

Highlighted
Grad Student
Message 7 of 7 (206 Views)

Check projector settings, Menu > Image > Auto Keystone = off, Manual Keystone = 0

I am an HP Employee

Original David Team Member
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation