Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (1,280 Views)

What cameras are people using currently?

Product Name: david sls3
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello! I'm wondering what web cams people are having sucess with lately. I'm looking for suggestions (with model # please). Accuracy is paramont to me. Am currently looking into the Imagingsource products. Thanks

Honor Student
Message 2 of 4 (1,062 Views)

Re: What cameras are people using currently?

I have used several cameras

c615 logitech webcam , 9000 logitech webcam

canon Eos t3i  which does amazing!! and now  an MU300 amscope camera usb 2.0 color which is also amazing.

I have not yet been able to make the dual camera setup work in david 5 but even with a single camera i am getting amazig results.  the webcams are alright for very basic things but i tossed those with in the first month to upgrade.

now i get professional grade scans used for manufacturing and reverse engineering.

Intern
Message 3 of 4 (1,039 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ DP9335

Sounds great. Could you post a screen grab of one of your scans without any smoothing or other reduction of the mesh ?

Can you also  tell us how many patterns you used ?

Thanks.

Regarding cameras, on the old David forum, you will find many posts.

I have used Canon DSLR (live view, low quality) and Nikon and Panasonic using HDMI capture (fullHD and 4K).

I am now using a PointGrey but these cameras do not work in stereo mode because of the directshow driver.

Imagingsource cameras are the ones used by David (HP).

I guess speed is also a critiria. The more expensive cameras have higher frame rates (ImagingSource, Basler, PointGrey).

Here is a post with different test I made:

http://forum.david-3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6565.

IMHO, the most important feature is fine adjustment of the shutter speed/frame rate to get rid of surface artifacts.

I didn't know about the MU300 but it could be a very good solution if high speed is not paramount. You must also think about a powerful computer with such a high resolution camera.

Jeff

Honor Student
Message 4 of 4 (402 Views)

I was using Kurokesu C1 camera which is a usb2.0 1080p dual setup and now slowly moving to a monochrome UHD.

Heres a link to a quick comparison
https://www.3dscanforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation