04-21-2019 10:09 PM
Just purchased HP chromebook. Noticed battery draining after I shut it down for the night. The battery would drain 20 to 30% overnight I understand that battery still drains even it's shutdown, but I was expecting just few percent, not 20 to 30%. Any ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.
04-22-2019 03:22 PM
Welcome to the HP Support Community.
Try these steps -
Step 1 Hard Reset -
1) Press the power button and refresh button for five seconds. The computer turns off, and then turns on again.
2) If necessary, press power button again to turn on the laptop.
Step 2 Battery Test -
1) Disconnect the charging cable from the Chromebook.
2) Power on the Chromebook and sign in to your account.
3) Close any open apps or tabs and reduce the screen brightness to the lowest level.
4) Open the Chrome browser and type chrome://extensions/ in the omnibox (browser address bar), and then press enter.
5) Remove the check marks next to Enabled to disable all of the extensions.
6) Press the ctrl + alt + t keys to open crosh.
7) Type battery_test 1 into crosh, and then press enter.
Let me know how that goes.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Have a great day!
I am an HP Employee
04-23-2019 09:22 PM
Thanks for quick reply, but as I was trying to do what you suggested, I got a "Chrome OS is missing or damaged" message Then when I tried to do a Recovery I got a "Security module on this device is not working" message At this point I had enough for a three day old chromebook, so I decided to return it Best buys. I must got a defective product The search continues .... Thanks