Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Product Name: HP 10 Tablet 2101
Operating System: Android 4.4 KitKat

Hi,

my wife bought a HP 10 Tablet. it was working fine until about 2 to 3 months ago.

then Google play updated all the apps , and the tablet it became slow.

First I went to system settings ro update the tablet.

the update failed and it aborted the update. now it is in a loop , crashing then resetting.

the tablet is unrooted . 

I tried to factory reset, but it failed

I tried to erase data also but it also failed.

in yellow text over an Android "ERROR!" Background

E: failed to mount/cache (invalid argument)

E: failed to set up expected mounts for installing; aborting

installation aborted.

E: failed to mount/cache (Invalid argument)

E: can't mount/cache/recovery/log

E: can't open/cache/recovery/log

E: can't mount/cache/recovery/last_log

E: can't open/cache/recovery/last_log

E: can't mount/cache/recovery/last_install

E: can't open/cache/recovery/last_install

E: can't open/cache/recovery/last_install

then the screen goes to black and

then it goes back to the yellow command lines again.

it does this infinitely until i hold the power down or it dies

i tried to hold power down and volume key up

but it doesn't matter it keeps going to the error screen right after I see the hp logo

i then went and bought a micro sd with a reader and i don't know what to do next.

i do know that the Android is version 4.4.2 as i looked at it before it got bricked

PLEASE HELP WHAT DO I DO

also when i plug the device via usb the tablet displays a charging symbol but the pc does not recognize the tablet

I tried several times to system reset, fatcotry reset, erase data reset , non of it worked.

Is there a possible way for hp to repair it,

and how much would this cost me?

I'd appreciate a prompt answer. 

btw, i tried to call hp support, hp customer service,  but several companies answered as if it was hp support, i think not legit. 

thanks for your time,

and in the hope you 'll understand my concern and find a resolution to  my problem,

I await for a soon to come answer from you,

regards, 

Emrick

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi! @Emrick, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand you have issues booting into your tablet.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your tablet?

As you mentioned you are unable to boot into your tablet and after the tablet got updated.

Try the steps recommended below.

In order to kill this error, you need to boot into the recovery menu of your Android smartphone.
Hold Volume up + Power button this will bring up the bootloader and then you can choose the recovery mode to boot into. 
Once you are in the recovery mode, use Volume Up and Down keys to navigate to “Mount System/Cache” option and then press Power button to select it.
Once done, navigate to Wipe Cache Partition option in the recovery using Volume Up/Down and then press power key and wipe it.
After wiping cache, reboot your tablet.
It should boot up fine now. In case if it doesn’t, go back to recovery mode again, once again select Mount System/Cache and then reboot your tablet.

Refer this article to know more information about restoring the tablet back to factory settings.

Let me know if this Helps.

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Did not work. Should I do a factory reset?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.