Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Prime Calculator

48G died and bought Prime replacement. The calculator appears to be a student tool, not a useful engineers calculator for doing daily work. Hoping I am wrong and don't end up looking for an older used unit.

How do you quickly convert one unit to another such as Torr to PSI.  

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

There's a nifty shortcut that works in both Textbook Entry and Algebraic Entry modes. Using the Units menu, just tap torr, then the Sto button (looks like ►), then tap psi, then press Enter. You'll get 0.02_psi as the answer.

In RPN Entry mode, the keystrokes are torr, Enter, psi, Enter, CONVERT. The second Enter is optional.

Of course, if you wish to include a scalar with the initial unit, type it before you tap the unit.

You can also save keystrokes sometimes by typing the unit name in ALPHA mode instead of hunting for it in the Units menu, but then you'll have to key the underscore (Shift space) yourself.

Unfortunately, Prime requires more keystrokes than the HP 48 when performing unit conversions, but the above shortcuts should help a little.

Disclaimer: I don't work for HP, but HP calculators work for me.

-Joe-
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply Joe. I have tried to get this to work but do not understand the operation of this calculator. I am an old RPN user. Can you give me a key by key example of 1 Torr to PSI conversion?

HP Recommended

Hi Joe. I found another forum where you showed how to convert in RPN. It is awkard but works. Is there a way to keep the unit tools in the display window for quick access and not press the shift units key every time? Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@oldcalc wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply Joe. I have tried to get this to work but do not understand the operation of this calculator. I am an old RPN user. Can you give me a key by key example of 1 Torr to PSI conversion?

I think you will have to read the User's Guide.

Unit manipulations are described om page 490 and following of the Users' Guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05332710

Also the built- in Help is really good.

Press blue Shift - Units (C key) - Tools - long press CONVERT - press Help.

HP Recommended

@oldcalc wrote:

Hi Joe. I found another forum where you showed how to convert in RPN. It is awkard but works. Is there a way to keep the unit tools in the display window for quick access and not press the shift units key every time? Thanks again.

As far as I know this is not possible.

But suppose we have to do many conversions of the same type, let us say from km to mile, then we can of course create a conversion factor, store it into a variable, and then multiply each value we wish to convert by this variable.

HP Recommended

@oldcalc wrote:

In RPN mode, here is one keystroke sequence that works. The "Template" key is the one immediately to the right of the Toolbox key. Owner's Manual syntax is used here.

1) Shift Template (Units). Make sure the Units tab is shown as selected.

2) Template (C). (This is a shortcut for dragging the menu upwards and then tapping Pressure. Do NOT press ALPHA before pressing the C key!).

3) 6. (This is a shortcut for tapping torr in the Pressure menu).

4) Enter. (This puts 1_torr on the stack).

5) Shift Template (Units).

6) Template (C).

7) 5. (This is the shortcut for psi).

😎 Enter (optional).

9) Shift Template (Units). Make sure the Tools tab is selected.

10) Enter Enter.

After using these shorcuts a few times, you'll memorize them well enough to use them without even looking at the screen.

If switching between those two tabs in the Units menu annoys you (as it does me), you can avoid it by training the Toolbox key to land on CONVERT.  Just press Toolbox, and in the Catalg menu, highlight CONVERT and press Enter, then press On to clear the command line. From now on (until you change it), you can get CONVERT in just two keystrokes: Toolbox Enter. That way you won't need to switch to the Tools tab in the Units menu. Handy dandy.

You also asked whether there is a way to force the menus to stay on the screen instead of needing to invoke them each time they are needed. Alas, there is not. This is the main reason that unit conversions require more keystrokes on the HP Prime than on HP's RPL models. A future firmware version might improve this.

-Joe-
HP Recommended

Thanks Joe,

I had part of this figured out and the couple of shortcuts you gave me made this acceptable for use. I just got this a couple of days ago and the conventions are a little odd compared to older units. I am beginning to become hopeful this will work out and it's good to have some experts out there to help.

HP Recommended

Hello,

"But suppose we have to do many conversions of the same type, let us say from km to mile, then we can of course create a conversion factor, store it into a variable, and then multiply each value we wish to convert by this variable"

Or you can convert a list:

{1_(mile), 4_(mile)}▶_km

Add as many numbers as you want.

Cyrille

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks Cyrille,

Everyone has been very helpful getting me started with this calculator. Some of the sequences and conventions are not clear and just some examples have me moving. I often do a lot of conversions between different temperature, pressure and volume units.

I also worked in the HP insturment division for over 20 years. My first calculator was the original HP35 and I went through the entire series with the HP41 being my general favorite. I needed a new one because the buttons finally died on my 48. Now I'm just trying to learn the new one and still keep my tasks moving.

Thanks again 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.