Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased this tablet and now I can not charge it. When charger was plugged in, battery indicator showed surge but despite that, battery goes flat.

Now when I'm trying to switch it on, with charger plugged in (device is turned off with blank screen), screen shows me for second or two, big battery symbol with surge on it.

When I'm trying to switch it on without charger plugged in, screen shows empty blinking battery symbol.

Tablet has been left on charge overnight and that resulted in nothing, still can't switch it on.

I can not go to recovery, but when tablet is plugged to laptop by USB port, windows is trying to install driver for it (but fails to do it anyway).

I tried 3 different chargers but no effect and charger supplied with tablet works as it charging other tablet properly.

Is there anything else  I can do about it on  my own or do I have to send it back?

Thanks for any help!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi nooobi, welcome to the HP Forums. I understand you are unable to power your tablet up on battery power. I suspect you have already done all of the troubleshooting, but if this doesn't resolve it: Tablet Does Not Start you will have to contact support for your repair options: In North America, call (800)-474-6836 outside of North America find your support number here HP Technical Support

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have this tablet as well. I opened it for the first time yesterday. Plugged it in overnight - dead as a doornail this morning with less than 2 minutes of life on it at 7%?! If I were to scale that up 10x that'd only be ~ 20 minutes at 70% anyways.

I think part of the issue is the port on the bottom of the tablet is rectangular vs every other phone with Micro USB has that other kind - although it actually uses the same cable.

I'm going to try a different cable as suggested.

*EDIT: Another Micro USB cable is charging without a problem. Bad cable that HP included.

Note: I do work at HP (Software in Sunnyvale) and when one of my coworkers on boarded they gave her a Slate 8 Pro and it was DOA. My wife and I have an iPad Mini, iPad Air and a Google Nexus 7 but wanted to check out the HP Slate 8 Pro. Our on-site IT couldn't help her and I assume I'm going to have to swim on my own here too.

HP Recommended

@eric_djliquid wrote:

I have this tablet as well. 

I think part of the issue is the port on the bottom of the tablet is rectangular vs every other phone with Micro USB has that other kind - although it actually uses the same cable.

Um, Huh?  What does the bottom of the tablet have to do with the connecting port?

*EDIT: Another Micro USB cable is charging without a problem. Bad cable that HP included.

You aren't the only customer to receive a bad cable.  I have received one also right out of the box.

Note: I do work at HP (Software in Sunnyvale) and when one of my coworkers on boarded they gave her a Slate 8 Pro and it was DOA. My wife and I have an iPad Mini, iPad Air and a Google Nexus 7 but wanted to check out the HP Slate 8 Pro. Our on-site IT couldn't help her and I assume I'm going to have to swim on my own here too.

You work for HP, yet you are unfamiliar how their warranty service works?  Your IT department there at Sunnyvale could not come up with one singular micro-USB cable?  I find your post a bit confusing... HP sent me another cable ASAP after I called them and complained.  Surely HP must have hundreds of these cables lying around in Sunnyvale!  😉

Hello, and Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Please see my edits above.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

I have been having the same issues since day one.  So a new charger resolves the issue?  

HP Recommended

@Justice75 wrote:

I have been having the same issues since day one.  So a new charger resolves the issue?  

Try using a different cable with the included charger.  Any other cellphone cable with a micro USB port should work.

Tablets need a charger that provides more current than what cellphones need.  Tablets use 2,000mA (2 Amps) of current as opposed to 500mA - 800mA for a phone.  This is why it's necessary to use the included charger (or one that supplies the same 2,000mA or more).

WyreNut

Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
HP Recommended

I just bought a HP 8' tablet from fingerhut and had issues right out of the box.The battery indicator doesnt show its charging.If I wiggle the cord,its shows little lightning bolt for a second and soon as I let go,it stops.Dont know what to do:smileyfrustrated:

HP Recommended

@gdenuel wrote:

I just bought a HP 8' tablet from fingerhut and had issues right out of the box.The battery indicator doesnt show its charging.If I wiggle the cord,its shows little lightning bolt for a second and soon as I let go,it stops.Dont know what to do:smileyfrustrated:

If the tablet is less than a year old, contact either Fingerhut or HP for repair/replacement.

HP might not cover it if determined to be "user damage"...   😞

To contact HP directly, click this link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

Outside the USA: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

WyreNut

HP Recommended

@WyreNut wrote:

@eric_djliquid wrote:

I have this tablet as well. 

Um, Huh?  What does the bottom of the tablet have to do with the connecting port?

I was referring to the port not the physical design of the device.

basically most micro are something like this: 

[ ----------]

\_______/

but the  Slate 8 I had was more like this

[----- ------]

|_________|                     

Anyways, I ended up changing the cable and it was ok after that.

You aren't the only customer to receive a bad cable.  I have received one also right out of the box.

Note: I do work at HP (Software in Sunnyvale) and when one of my coworkers onboarded they gave her a Slate 8 Pro and it was DOA. My wife and I have an iPad Mini, iPad Air and a Google Nexus 7 but wanted to check out the HP Slate 8 Pro. Our on-site IT couldn't help her and I assume I'm going to have to swim on my own here too.

You work for HP, yet you are unfamiliar how their warranty service works?  Your IT department there at Sunnyvale could not come up with one singular micro-USB cable?  I find your post a bit confusing... HP sent me another cable ASAP after I called them and complained.  Surely HP must have hundreds of these cables lying around in Sunnyvale!  😉

Again, I work in the software solutions division of Hewlett Packard Enterprise not HP, Inc who makes hardware with products like this.

Hello, and Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Please see my edits above.

WyreNut

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.