Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook 14
Chrome OS

The label on the back of my chromebook has faded and I need the EMEI number...is there anywhere else I can look?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@patti11

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you want to know the IMEI number of your HP Chromebook. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

However, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution,

• Provide the product number of the notebook.
  • Does your notebook has sim card slot?

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Chromebook 14-q070nr is the product number and it does have a sim card slot.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@patti12

Thanks for the reply.

I made a research and found that this notebook does not have IMEI number.

If you are looking for notebook serial number:

Follow below steps:

1. Press Escape and Refresh and tap the power button at the same time.

2. This will bring you to a screen with a yellow exclamation point that says “Chrome OS is missing or damaged”.

3. Enter Developer mode by pressing Ctrl and D at the same time.

4. Press Enter to turn OS verification off.

5. The screen will show “Verification is off”. The next step will clear all local data. DO PROCEED IF YOU NEED TO KEEP YOUR LOCALLY STORED DATA. To continue, press Ctrl and D a second time.

6. The system will then enter Developer Mode. This process may take several minutes. A progress bar will spin while you wait. Note: Do not turn your Chromebook off during this step or the unit may require service from Lenovo.

7. When this process is completed, you will be taken back to the “OS verification is off” screen. To continue, press Ctrl and D.

8. The Chromebook will reboot and take you back to the Welcome screen. Connect to the network by entering your Wi-Fi information. Then click on Continue.

9. After accepting Google’s Terms of Service, sign into Chrome.

10. Press Ctrl and Alt and T to open the terminal.

11. Type “shell” and press enter.

12. Type “sudo bash” and press enter.

13. Type “vpd –l” and press enter.

14. Several results will be provided. The serial number will be shown on the last line.

15. To leave Developer Mode, press the power button .

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The IMEI number is actually on the back of the computer on a black label.  I can read about 70% of it, but the rest has rubbed off.  I do have the serial number, but unfortunately, it's the IMEI number that I need.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@patti12 

Thanks for the response.

May I know the why do you need the IMEI number.

However, I made a research that information is not available.

The serial number is used to identify the HP product.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help thusfar.

I purchased this Chromebook with a data plan through T-Mobile.

Something has happened with that service and T-Mobile requires the IMEI to help sort it out.

As you know the sticker on the back with the IMEI is worn to the point that the IMEI number is beyond recognition.

How do we proceed getting the IMEI number?

Thank you

HP Recommended

@patti12

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I request you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.