Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We bought 10 HP ProBook 450 G5 (2XZ22EA) for a client and they are all overheating. How do you solve this? and what could be the problem

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

My probook has the same issue, HP have been onsite and replaced the motherboard and fan unit 48 hours ago and the same fault has returned. Engineer booked again monday next week to replace same parts

HP Recommended

I also have an HP Probook 450 G5. These are the things you could do to cool your laptop down.

• install more ram
  • Power down / Shutdown your laptop when you are not using it
  • Keep it on a flat hard surface like a desk or table so air can freely flow to and from the internal fans
  • open up your laptop and clean out the internal fans with an Ultra duster air can spray to get any accumilated dust inside your laptop.
  • close out multiple tabs, windows, applications, and / or software that is opened up at the same time. Too many tabs opened up like on the internet can cause a laptop to overheat fast and sometimes crash.
  • Keep all your drivers and windows operating system up to date.
  • keep the laptop in an cool enviroment where it won't get hot overtime.
  • Task Manager > Startup tab > disable any installed application that you don't want running in the background when you first boot up your laptop. This will also increase your laptop boot speed so you can quickly get to work instead of having to wait for everything to load up.
  • Install a secondary Solid State Drive to keep and hold all your extra data that takes up a lot of space like your videos, music, photos and documents. I use a Crucial 1TB SSD while my NVMe 256gb ssd holds my operating system and installed applications. The more free space that is available on the laptop, the easier it is to install new stuff... ect...
  • Speaking of applications, try removing any non-essential applications on the laptop that are not in use or you don't need. This will save space on your laptop and also let's you know what you have installed on the laptop.
    • Press the Windows Key > Settings > Apps > then remove and uninstall any non-essential applications that could be causing your laptop to slow down... ect...
  • **Last Resort** Reinstall / Refresh your operating system (be sure to backup any data before doing so)

Please let me know if one or all of these points helped you and your client out. ^_^

April 15, 2019

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions, the machine does nothing heavy, in fact it is overspecced for what I need, so should be able to run outlook, and a couple of browser windows without breaking sweat, yet it overheats like a fat kid on sports day in the 100m race.

2nd engineer visit and they sent out a 3rd motherboard and 3rd fan unit, which the engineer refused to replace as he felt it was not the issue. Checked the OS and bios was up to date, stripped the machine down to check the new fan was fitted correctly. Could not find any issues. put it back together and within 24 hours overheating again. Engineer escalated the case to customer service (think this name could be challenged in court)........no phone call back and I had to chase them 3 times to get another engineer booked as they don't seem to think there is an underlying  fault with the machine

When it overheats, the cores reach 95 to 100 degrees, also then shuts down the USB ports that are not in use. Unable to restart the machine or shut it down, restart runs for about 15 minutes before the blue screen of death apprears

HP support and customer service are utterly useless, you cannot contact customer service via phone, when you get to speak to technical support they are just reading from a script or a check list, Machine was purchased direct from HP and was less than 4 weeks old when fault started happening, yet HP think it is fine to have 3 engineer visits, replace the same parts over and over. and the fault is still there.

We are not a massive customer, over 10 years we have purchased around 50 machines direct from HP. but this will be the last one. my CEO wants me to change our machines over to Apple, but I would rather stick rusty needles in my eyes than use a fruit based product.

3rd engineer diue on site this morning to replace the heat sink....will keep you posted

HP Recommended

Well, when you get all the laptop’s back. Try working with just 1 to try to solve the issue. If anything, I found that a lot of people have this issue, follow this guy’s advice:

https://youtu.be/KS-5jvB3dwo

also try some of my point I sent before. All laptops overheat if they are being used in excessive between 60-80° F. Low use goes between 05-30° F. Anything over 80-90° F. Is bad if kept at that constant temperature.

EASY SOLUTION/FIX to decrease the temperature of your laptop, netbook, or desktop computer while gaming (Dota 2) or video/picture editing! Updated Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWKd0yFkfVc First download CoreTemp if you haven't already: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ ~STEPS~ Power ...
HP Recommended

Hi

Engineer arrived on site at 11.30am......not quite the "first thing" I was promised. Heat sink has been replaced along with another fan unit and we will see how it goes.....initial signs are not good, before the work was carried out the core temps peaked at 79 to 84 degrees C, currently running between 51 & 54 degrees C

The machine is used in an office enviroment 95% of the time , room tempreature is between 22 & 24 degrees C, used only on a flat desk, with minimal clutter that could restrict any kind of air flow around it. Outside of the office, it is used a few times a week at home on battery power and does not seem to have any issues

The issue seems to occur when the machine has been to "sleep" and is then woken up to start work again.

If I was working the machine really hard I would expect it to get warm, but as I said, it runs outlook all day, couple of web browsers linked to our online systems and other low load software......in all honesty, it should not even be breaking a sweat with the loads I am putting on it.

Will keep you posted on devleopments

HP Recommended

Latest update.......... the level of incompetance that is displayed by HP customer services grows on a weekly basis.

I was away on vactaion, which I advised HPCS....and yet they sent a courier company to collect the faulty machine......this is after agreeing that they would not ask for the faulty machine back until the new one had been delivered. I get an email on holiday advising that the courier could not pick the faulty machine up.........

When I get back from holiday and contact HPCS again, they ask if I can resend all the emails as they seem to have lost them

Resent all the communications....cc'd to HP CEO, who i believe is a fictional character and does not exist in the true living matter as a being, if he did how on earth can he accept this level of service being provided to customers as saisfactory.

Get another email from HPCS saying that the new machine was delivered whislt I was on leave and was signed for at 8.20 am.....40 minutes before any of my staff were on site and by someone we have never heard of.

As yet, despite 2 further emails to HPCS no response to the question of which address did they deliver the new machine too.

Last week I had a phone call from the returns department asking why I had not sent the faulty unit back, 15 minutes later the caller finally understood what had happened and promised they would contact HPCS, who would call me back.........Once again nothing...........

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.