Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
1030 X360 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

1030 X360 G4 POWER OPTIONS AND MIRICAST?

Good evening all.after my 1030 G2 I got a replacement because it became a dead duck that for some reason they could not fix so HP support has provides me with a brand new G4 with a 8265u and everything is great apart from the performance its absolute crap compared to the 7200u it replaced yes the 8265u should be 40% above it and in benchmarks it is but its lagging 20% behind the competitors and I think I know why but cant figure it out, please help me?

In power options all I have is balanced and modern standby this is no use for such a powerful quad core, there is no option to max out the cpu in advanced power settings the G2 has it as does all 840 series and I dont know why?

It throttles alot more than the G2 its temps are a lot higher but not hot on the base;

But very limited testing has not produced any increases in performance but also no blue screens of death either which just makes this question even more baffling to me to get my head round it.

Everthing is briliant huge step up from the excellent G2.

Just wondering if the cpu is faulty (it does happen) or does it need a bios update to push its correct stock cpu performance values?

Normal passmark 10 cpu bench is only 5300 when stock should be 6350+ thats a big difference guys?

If I had to guess I think its setup all wrong or a rushed factory job???

Any other G4 users noticed these strange cpu behaviours?

MIRICAST

This G4 can see all things connected to the wi fi network but it can't connect to anything or vice versa and although the G2 is broken it still powers on and using a mouse can still connect to everything this new G4 cant.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

before you go any further, update BIOS and all drivers with HP Image Assistant - https://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HPIA.html

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks Dan, I never knew that was very interesting as I have other ellitebooks that did require updates but not this G4.

I just dont get this unit/G4 I ended up deleting the throttle registry key and it still throttles at 88% LOL

Next step is artic silver on the 2 heatsinks and overclocking - it seems this is a product wide problem from 8th gen and up intel CPU's at the price HP charges theres zero point in having in theory fast CPUs when they cant compete with 7th gen processors that dont throttle?

Another thing that baffles me is in ADVANCED power settings it does not list the proccessors anywhere so users cant set the cpu to 100% max setting every other ellitebook I have in my home can.

So dan is this model all setup wrong at the factory or are they all being setup to be way slower so heat in all models is better controled if thats the case its a waste of time upgrading from the 1030 G2.

HP Recommended

Good day Dan, I forgot to mention the first thing i did was update the bios to 01.06.00 all drivers are upto date.

This 8265u is around 20% slower than a utter crap dell or even worse lenovo how is that even possible?

HP Recommended

If you click on the battery icon in the Taskbar, you will see a slider... if you move slider to the right you get better performance while moving it to the left you will get better battery life

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Good morning Dan, thats correct if you have not removed the ability to for this cpu to throttle, but I have therefore is slider is not there any more its now not an option.

I also removed it from the registry and no matter what I do it still throttle likes mad even when the G4 has been off all night.

I have my own websites as am a Google SEO webmaster guru and other owners are now reporting the same issues directly to me I understand fully benchmarks are not realworld performance but the G4 is not the only computer I have,

All I am saying is with the cooling solution on this particular G4 there is zero reasons why this CPU should throttle its self in the manner it is as oweners are not stressing this pc its even throttling in its lowest performance setting which makes no sense to any owners of this very expensive notebook?

HP Recommended

Hi everyone, anyone reading this thread I wish to share this information with you all, I spent the entire day yesterday testing this laptop and discovered someting very strange.

I knew it was CPU throttling even task manager confirms this but could not for the life of me figure it out so first I removed it in windows 10, that never worked I then changed the registry value, that never worked either.

Next step undervolting yes it reduced heat at -100mv and core the same value but the CPU still thottled never seen anything like it so was forced to put everything back to default and yes if you do that results are very good aginst some laptops novabench being the best giving this notebook a score of 910 which is 110 points above cpu average but is still 25% off the best in class with same componets.

So my only walkaway from this testing is this G4 requires a bios update to stop the 15% CPU loss of power, yes its not a powerhouse notebook but whats the point of building in thunderbolt 3 4 lanes for an external video card if the CPU can easily outrun a 10th gen CPU would make this G4 unbeatable at $2000 how should we expect any less and the funny thing is thermals are excellent so theres no need to build in this throttling unless HP knows something differently?

HP Recommended

Your 8265u's long term power limit is probably set to 15W which results in 2.1Ghz maximum frequency(8 threads). The reason why Hp's competitors  with equal specs have higher benchmark scores is that they allow CPU to consume more than 15W( f.eq. Thinkpad T 18W).

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for this, yes I worked that out as well but then again the power brick is rated at 65w and they recon the max power draw is 45w so why do they need 65w for?

I have spoken to an overclocker friend in Asia who has told me hes test the G3 version and its really a 10w CPU it only stays a 15w for a very short term and the same chip in some dells are rated at 25w so we know the cpu can take it but can our motherboards but like I said a bios update can sort all these issues out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.