cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NeilChak
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

2018 - New Laptop and docking station - Lack Luster Performance.

HP Recommended
HP Elite i7-855U 1.8GHz 16GB Ram e
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Folks,

I am using this laptop as a desktop replacement machine and take it to many meetings.  These lack luster preformance seem to be common to many users with new USB Docking stations that do not perform like the Hardware docking stations of the past.

1. Computer goes to sleep.  Have to open lid and get it to wake up to then activate desk top monitors. (Wasting Time)

2. Shut down computer.  Have to open lid and get it to boot  up to then activate desk top monitors. (Wasting Time)

3. Re - Dock computer.  Have to open lid and get it to boot  up to then activate desk top monitors. (Wasting Time)

Can't these operations be smoother.

Thank you

Neil Chakrabarty

CTO - WVDEP

http://dep.wv.gov

8 REPLIES 8
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just for interest, what docking station and exactly what model of EliteBook are you using?

0 Kudos
NeilChak
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply this is the info on my system but the problem is not limited to one system.

HP Probook 470 G5 3CP75UC#ABA

HP Elite Dock USB-C G4 L13898-002

Thank you

Neil Chakrabarty

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How disappointing. As you say, you hope these things would work more smoothly.

There has been a firmware update for that dock - it may well already be on your dock and it's listed as improving compatibility with the EliteBook 800 G5 and ZBook G5 ranges, not your ProBook, but it's worth checking. Here's the notice and the driver page for the dock (which shows the firmware in the notice is the latest version).

As you're a government customer, I am guessing you have some sort of HP account manager or designated support contact. It may well be worth your while feeding back about your issues via whatever contacts you have. These forums are peer-to-peer, though it is possible an HP agent will get in touch with you.

0 Kudos
NeilChak
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All updates including firmware applied.  Firmware now F33.

Will test out and update on changes and update here and contact my HP representatives.

0 Kudos
NeilChak
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No change in behavior.  Tested all 3 senerios and same result.

Thank you

Neil Chakrabarty

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It might be worth removing power from the dock, waiting 30 seconds and powering it back up again just to see if the new firmware needed a power cycle to kick in fully. It would also be worth doing a Restart in Windows on the laptop, too.

If that doesn't help, I think it's definitely time to take this up with your HP contacts. At least we've worked through the "there is new firmware for your dock" stage, which is almost certainly they first thing they would have said.

0 Kudos
NeilChak
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wow that worked for 2 of 3 issues!

only one that did not work is #3

3. 3. Re - Dock computer.  Have to open lid and get it to boot  up to then activate desk top monitors. (Wasting Time)

So much better!

Thank you

Neil Chakrabarty

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm glad that upgrading the dock firmware, power cycling the dock and Restarting the laptop solved two of your issues.

For issue #3, check that you have the latest video drivers installed on the laptop. If the latest drivers from HP don't resolve that issue, it might be worth trying the latest drivers from the GPU vendor to see if they are any better.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation