22 13 2 3
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

65w Charger EliteBook 840 G4

HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hiya 🙂

I have the EliteBook 840 G4 which came with a 45w charger, I also have a HP Travel Charger which clocks ina t 65w...Does anyone know if it's safe to charge the laptop with this 65w charger? I assume the laptop won't take more than it can handle?

I did ask HP but they didn't really answer the question all that well, simply said it's fine to use as long as I unplug it every few hours...which is fine...but it makes me think that the charger could damage my laptop and isn't built to be used with the 65w charger.

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
ju1c3
Level 4
51 51 6 13
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's fine to do. 

0 Kudos
IT_WinSec
Level 15
Level 15
10,021 9,918 802 3,895
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @crispyswinger1

It cannot damage your computer, it will even charge it faster than the 45w one

>> Your FEEDBACK is important. Click below on Accept As Solution or ThumbUp+ buttons if my comments helped or to say thanks <<
*** I work for HP *** I express personal opinion only *** HP Expert - Volunteer since 2013
0 Kudos
crispyswinger1
Author
Level 3
22 13 2 3
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@IT_WinSec wrote:

Hi @crispyswinger1

It cannot damage your computer, it will even charge it faster than the 45w one

Thanks for the reply 🙂 Is this just a general rule of thumb that higher wattage chargers can charge laptops that came with a lower wattage charger? Or is there some documentation from HP somewhere?

Thanks

0 Kudos
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 24,632 3,568 8,035
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@crispyswinger1

On older AC's a higher Wattage could charge the battery faster but not with SMART AC adaptors.

SMART AC's use the center pin to communicate with the CPU to charge the battery.

IMG_4901#2.jpg

Older AC's used brute force charging.

SMART AC's use a more regulated charge.

So the speed of charge is governed by the AC and laptop.

REO

0 Kudos
crispyswinger1
Author
Level 3
22 13 2 3
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@REO51ST wrote:

@crispyswinger1

On older AC's a higher Wattage could charge the battery faster but not with SMART AC adaptors.

SMART AC's use the center pin to communicate with the CPU to charge the battery.

IMG_4901#2.jpg

Older AC's used brute force charging.

SMART AC's use a more regulated charge.

So the speed of charge is governed by the AC and laptop.

REO

Hey 🙂

Thanks for the info! However, you mentioned "Smart Chargers"...that's this type of charger isn't it:

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=H6Y89AA&opt=ABU&sel=ACC

I however don't have that type of 65w charger, I have the standard 65w travel charger:

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=G6H47AA&opt=ABU&sel=ACC

But the above one (which I own) does reference "smart pin charging technology".

Does this mean that my travel charger carries the required pin which ensures it safely (and "smartly") charges the laptop and that I wouldn't do any damage to the laptop?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation