Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
CND8164TYP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Access is dined c drive

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Laxman3656,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are getting access denied error when you try accessing the C drive.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1) If you can access cmd, you can reset the security settings with the following command: "secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose" (no quotes.) To see what this command does, go here: How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

NOTE: If you can't access cmd when logged in, use this guide System Recovery Options. You can get to the command line when you access the System Recovery Options screen.

2) This command seems to give the ownership issue a kick up the backside, even though it seems nothing has changed. Go to Explorer, right click on C: and go to Properties.

3) Go to the Security tab and then Advanced.

4) Go to the Owner tab. Now you should be able to click Edit.

5) If you don't have Administrators in the list under where it says "Change owner to:" then go to "Other users or groups". If you do, go straight to step 7.

6) On Others users or groups type in "Administrators" (no quotes) in the bottom box. Click Check Name and then OK.

7) Click Administrators and then OK. You've now given yourself ownership of C:! (As long as your account is an Administrator, that is.)

8) Click OK on the "Advanced Security Settings..." window to get back to the Properties window. You should now have a list of the Permissions and so on where before you only had something about how you couldn't view permissions. Progress, eh?

9) You may need to add in the Adminstrators group to edit their permissions. To do this, click "Edit" and then "Add" and type "Administrators" (no quotes) in the bottom box. Then hit Check Name and then OK.

10) Click Administrators in the list and tick the box in the Allow column next to "Full control".

11) Click Apply, you'll likely get a bunch of error messages about how this can't be applied to some files and folders. Just OK through them all. Once done, you should have access to your C: drive once more!

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.