Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook 15 G5 Mobile Workstation

I would like to add the ssd drive into the second M.2 slot but I don't know if I can install the M.2 SATA ssd I already have.

I have one 512 GB PCIe NVMe TLC SSD installed and the second slot is empty. I can't find anything helpfull information in the generic documentation received from HP.  I would like to know if the existing M.2 slot can support both either M.2 SATA or M.2 PCI or only SATA or PCI. What would happen if I install SATA ssd into M.2 slot that supports PCI only? Can I damage my laptop ? or rather it will not work but no damage. 

Below are the configuration details of my Zbook I got in December 2018:

ZBook 15 G5 with Intel® Core™ i5-8300H processor (2.3 GHz, up to 4.0 GHz with Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache, 4 core) + Intel® UHD Graphics 630 (2YW99AV)

Product number: 2YW99AV

Intel® Core™ i5 Label (G8)
No Adobe Software
150 Watt Smart Slim AC Adapter
4 Cell 90 WHr Long Life Battery
15.6" diagonal UHD LED UWVA Anti-Glare with HD Webcam slim Ambient Light Sensor (3840x2160)
No Internal Storage
No Near Field Communication (No NFC)
No Broadband Wireless
16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4 2666
Fingerprint Reader
512 GB PCIe NVMe TLC SSD
Integrated HD 720p DualAryMic Webcam
Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 (2x2) Gigabit Wi-Fi + Bluetooth® 5 (no-vPro™)
Country Localization US
Dual Point Backlit spill-resistant Collaboration Keyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 - HP recommends Windows 10 Pro
Drivers for Windows 10 (Recovery Media)
One-year (1/1/0) limited warranty
C5 1.0m Tag Power Cord
Windows 10 Pro Operating System Recovery DVD
ENERGY STAR Qualified Configuration
No AMT vPro™ Technology Supported
Elite Services Information Card
HP Laser 3 Button USB Mouse
FDA Class 1 Certification

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Looks I may not be able to reuse my old M.2 SATA ssd module but still looking for confirmation. It looks M.2 sockets are designed to accept only one of M.2 module types as exlained in the link below:

https://www.atpinc.com/blog/what-is-m.2-M-B-BM-key-socket-3

I opened my laptop and it looks that I have M type socket so I guess it will block my old SATA ssd of M+B type.

Any advice will be appreciated. Looking for recommendation for PCIe NVMe SSD 500GB or 1TB for HP Zbook G5.

HP Recommended

This post describes the solution. I end up purchasing and successfully installing 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD module on my ZBOOK 15 G5 Mobile Workstation running Windows 10.

In my last post I stated that my second M.2 socket will likely block my SATA M.2 ssd module. This is likely not true but I concluded that SATA is not supported by the second M.2 socket and purchased PCIe M.2 sdd. I also was not sure whether I may damage my laptop by installing SATA M.2 ssd. It is likely not true but I didn't even try.

I examined motherboard and both M.2 sockets are next to each other and very likely attached to the same storage controller. Since the ssd in the first socket was also Samsung SSD based on PCIe and NVMe, I concluded that the second M.2 socket will also support PCIe/NVMe SSD.  Also, I booted to BIOS and noticed an option to configure Storage Controller for RAID that require that both SSDs are the same.

The first boot after completing installation of the second SSD didn't work which was a bit scary. Boot got stuck and was not making any progress. Problem disappeared by powering down/up.

Finally I followed up instructions in the following link to configure the new drive. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/initialize-new-disks

All  works so far but I need to test the new drive for a few more days if not longer to be sure all is good.

HP Recommended

Last comment. It is a bit disappointing  the lack of clear customized information attached to the purchase.  After year or more of the purchase, many users want to add the second drive and face the same challenge as I described in the post. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.