Level 4
156 97 2 10
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Application specific permission not being granted

HP Recommended
Elitebook 8440p
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Event ID:     10016  - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID  {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1}and APPID {344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B} to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC).

What could have caused this to happen?  What should I do?

KCav

8 REPLIES 8
Walker127
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here's a link to a another site with step by step instructions

http://myownkb.com/en/technical-references/microsoft-windows-server/event-id/3-event-id-10016-distri...

I have been looking for an answer to the same problem.  I have not tried it yet, but the reports appear positive.

0 Kudos
kcav
Author
Level 4
156 97 2 10
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Walker127, 

The  link to step by step instructions was a good call,  together with the screen snipetts the instrctions were easy to follow, Thank you for replying to my question, will get back to you and tell you how I made out.

KCav

0 Kudos
kcav
Author
Level 4
156 97 2 10
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I followed the instructions you sent but something must have gone astray!   Here are the messages I received when I tried to changed the rights for System and Local Administrators.  Now when I run Regedit and search for APPID 9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276 it no-longer finds it, however Event Viewer still reports that the application specific permission settings do not grant local Activation.  What should I do?

ErrMsg1.jpgerrmsg2.png

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Event Logs are often littered with Distributed COM errors such as these, even on systems that are working perfectly. Unless there is a link between an actual issue in operation of the system and the time these errors arise in the Event Log, I would stop trying to solve the perceived issue.

If you really want to change the permissions, you will need to run regedit as an Administrator and grant yourself permission to change the key. The potential to screw things up - not just in an obvious way, but also by weakening the security of the system - is present. There are good reasons why it is not straightforward for users to edit these keys.

Indeed, I find the very message you allude to in the event logs of my week old ZBook. The chances are that Windows is attempting to do something that the (restricted) permissions of my user do not allow. I'm not seeing any operational consequences of this event log entry and have no intention of granting additional DCOM permissions to get rid of it.

0 Kudos
kcav
Author
Level 4
156 97 2 10
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

David_W_J,  thank you for replying to my question concerning Distributed COM errors reported by Event Viewer.  

The errors do not seem to be linked to an actual issue in operation of the system; I agree the matter doesn’t deserve high urgency.  

I did run Regedit as Admin, the screw-up may have occurred when I selected the wrong column on the IPBustnum Properties page, should have used the column for Security I believe I used General.

I am going to install a new SSD inside my notebook and restore the system partition from backup image file stored on a USB hard drive to it, see if that works.

0 Kudos
Walker127
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I am sorry for any grief that I may have caused.

Like you, I have recently purchased a new laptop (an HP ProBook) and am looking into it's operation. I purchased an HP because of the support behind the product ... like this site and other features like the SoftPaq download manager.

In trying to get my new laptop up and going I have encountered several problems. For example, my existing HP Deskjet printer could not be fully installed (i.e. Windows installed a print driver, but no scanning software). I stumbled across a possible solution on the web (and then on the HP site) that indicated there was a "gotcha" with the original HP printer installation software and there was an easy fix that could be made. Rather than buy a new printer, I tried the solution and it worked.

With that problem behind me, I looked at for other gotchas that may be hiding ... using the Event Viewer. Like you, I encountered your error. While many of these "errors" may just reflect the normal operation of the computer, we the users are never sure. I don't have internet at home (I live rural), so my investigation into problems can be slow.

I am very cautious. I protect myself by doing a Restore point before attempting any changes to Windows 7. This has saved my butt several times. I also do weekly backups, and have DVDs to reload the OS.

0 Kudos
kcav
Author
Level 4
156 97 2 10
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Last night I replaced the hard drive and restored the system from a backup image file, then I ran Event Viewer.   As expected the application specific communications setting erros were there, however I ran Regedit and Regedit did not find the errors.    :indifferent:      How can this be?  It found them before.  The backup was made before I modifies the Registry. Isn't the Registry part of an image  made of the System partition?  

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kcav wrote:

Last night I replaced the hard drive and restored the system from a backup image file, then I ran Event Viewer.   As expected the application specific communications setting erros were there, however I ran Regedit and Regedit did not find the errors.    :indifferent:      How can this be?  It found them before.  The backup was made before I modifies the Registry. Isn't the Registry part of an image  made of the System partition?  

A Registry editor will not find Distributed COM permission errors, because permission to access and/or amend a registry key is not the same thing as permission to carry out a DCOM RPC.

I maintain my position: if you do not understand the precise implications of what you are doing, I strongly suggest you do not alter anything. If something you are attempting to do on your computer relies on DCOM and a DCOM permissions error is preventing it from working, that's the time to attempt to debug the issue. The particular messages you listed are common in the event logs of Windows 8 and 10 systems but do not seem to cause any operational issues. Granting any additional permissions is potentially weakening the security of your system, so my strong advice is that if you are not having any operational issues with the system, leave well alone rather than granting additional permissions.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation