Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ap0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought the new gem cut HP spectre x360 a week ago and it seemed to have high CPU usage with all the hp bloatware and then i installed Core Temp and while idle (5-9% CPU) the tempreatures are hovering over 50-55 degrees celsius with the optimal thermal settings in the HP Command Center. Since im used to a clean windows, i thought there was something im missing so i did a clean windows installation, installed necessary drivers and it did not change anything. 

Right now, once the CPU pushes around 30-40% utilization in Task Manager, im reaching tempreatures of 85-90 degrees celsius which, in my opinion, is bad. This is my first HP product and i dont know if this is a common issue?

I bought an external GPU as well so i could use the i7 8th gen for some gaming and even then, games that utilize 40-50% cpu push the CPU temps up to 95-97.

Im concerned if this is actually a hardware issue or if there are some BIOS tweaks that may cause this? I already downloaded the latest BIOS and did the upgrade through the HP support app. 

Thank you in advance for any advice. 

Here is an example: (also, once i use the performance settings in the HP command center, the temps go even higher) 

Second example is a "light use" in that there is a 1080p video playing in one chrome tab. 

reg.PNGCapture.PNG

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JakubW

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Support Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand the computer is overheating.

Appreciate you trying the steps. Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

• Ensuring proper space for ventilation.
  • Placing the notebook in a cooler room.

Step 1 Change to balance mode in BIOS -
1) Enter BIOS by pressing F10 repeatedly at startup.
2) Under the System Configuration tab, select System Power Scheme.
3) Select Balance for the lower-power, cooler CPU mode.
4) Click Exit Saving Changes. Do not save Default settings because the default is Performance.

Step 2 Enabling HP Cool Control -
1) From the Windows desktop, open Control Panel.
2) Select HP Cool Control.
3) In the popup menu, select On for the lower-power, cooler CPU mode.

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the  "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day ahead :)​​​​​​​

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.