Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY X360

HI, I need to enable AHCI mode in the BIOS in order to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 but I can not find any interesting settings nor the advanced settings in my BIOS please help. I am taking Linux course and I needed a powerful laptop so I bought this brand new HP Envy X360.

I just hope there is a way to solve this issue. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You may want to repost this in the consumer forum... this is a business forum and users here have knowledge of of Pro and Elite devices (plus Z)... i would also mention the actual model with generation details when you repost

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Your device should be ahci by default.  Ubuntu and hp laptops don't mix very well, you'll find lots of issues on here. Dual booting is risky even for an experienced linux user, think twice about it to be sure.  Usually you have to clear space on the existing drive given from windows to free space. Then when you boot ubuntu, you would need to manually create it's partitions to fit in that free space.  Ubuntu should be able to boot achi by default, Rufus boot maker https://rufus.ie/ or Belena etcher https://www.balena.io/etcher/ should make a bootable ubuntu disk from the downloaded iso.  I really don't enjoy discouraging anyone for investigating new things and I don't want to sound all like I know it all, just think twice about it all as hp laptops and Ubuntu are not good friends.  Eventually your ubuntu will loose it's efi and may take windows with it. It can also mess up your recovery partitions. 

HP Recommended

Ok I got it, I am sorry I didn't know and thanks for replying me.

HP Recommended

Good Evening and thank you for your advice, I was totally ignorant of that. Thanks a lot 

HP Recommended

No problem, If you can afford a cheap second hand older laptop then buy it for exploring linux on by itself. Anything up to ten years old should do.  that way it takes the pressure off and keep your good laptop for your ongoing work and play.  As you use linux you will no doubt explore other distributions so by having a separate device you can change it as you like and have a working device all along. Even a cheap old pc and monitor would do as a starter. I'm glad for you that you have the interest and courage to try new things and I hope you get a chance to . 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.