Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RangerZ
Level 4
105 60 1 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

BIOS. Can I still upgrade BIOS Firmware?

HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have recently purchased a used 840 G1.  Unfortunatly the seller did not disclose the unit has a BIOS password.  I have requested the password from the seller, but do not expect that it will be available.

Unclear on if I will return or keep it, however if I keep it I need to be able to:

• Update the old 1.21 BIOS
  • Upgrade the HDD for a larger device. 
  • Add more memory
  • Downgrade to Win 7 PRO
  • Install all the related Intel TP\ME firmware.  I will not install HP Client Security or related HP Tools.  I will not use the Fingerprint reader.

I rather not make any changes to the device until I know the above is feasible.  It's going to an unsophisticated home user to do light office and photo editing. The computer was cheap and in nice shape, but it's gotta work.

Any other gotcha notes are appreciated. I expect the m.2 slot will not be enabled.

3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
132,401 122,578 20,156 30,926
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

With an unknown BIOS, password, you cannot make many changes to the PC.

If the seller does not know the BIOS P/W, for that model you will need to contact HP, and they may be able to send you a customized SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

In the USA/Canada, call HP at 1 (866) 724-8600

When talking to the HP rep, ask them to escalate your service request.

Note...

Do not try removing the RTC/BIOS battery.  It will not remove the password, but it will reset the clock - as SMC files are time coded, a large disparity between the system clock and the time encoded in the SMC will cause it to fail.

0 Kudos
RangerZ
Author
Level 4
105 60 1 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Suprisingly I got the BIOS password and cleared out the config.  I am good to go!

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
132,401 122,578 20,156 30,926
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That is great news!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation