AmineMarref
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

BIOS Update tied to a Specific Windows Version

HP Recommended
EliteBook 8770w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to update the BIOS on my HP machine running Windows 10 but no available BIOS update files are shown for Windows 10 (in the online support page). However, BIOS updates are shown for Windows 8.1.

Could anybody explain to me:

1. Why the BIOS which is supposed to run before the OS is available for certain versions of Windows and not the others? Shouldn't it be updated regardless of which OS is running; be it Windows or Linux or whatever?

2. What happnes if I update my BIOS on my machine running Windows 10 using the file that is listed under Windows 8.1?

Cheers,

Amine.

2 REPLIES 2
Ken1943
Level 4
88 62 4 7
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You should only run a bios for your computer model and Windows version. That is why HP only puts out bios for their computers.

Todays bios are different from years ago. 

Here is more information        https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/htg-explains-how-uefi-will-replace-the-bios/

The thing I don't like is that HP & Dell update their bios very often.  I was taught that you only update them for a certain

problem and not just to update. Each company puts out bios updates that cause more problems than they fix.

DO NOT UPDATE JUST TO UPDATE. You may/will  screw up the computer.

KenW
0 Kudos
AmineMarref
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you 🙂

The article does explain the usual difference between a legacy BIOS and the new UEFI; however, it does not explain why the UEFI should be updated for specific versions of Windows and not others. To my best knowledge, be it BIOS or UEFI, its job is to start the OS.

Now, I own HP/Dell machines for which I have already perfomed firmware updates designated for specific versions of Windows, and the machines worked well when other Windows/Linux versions/distributions were installed over the years. I met only one case where a firmware upgrade caused my Windows to continously witness the BSOD, and this was actually firmware designated for the Windows version I was running (Windows 7). Re-installations of the same version of Windows did not solve the issue; but later on, installing Windows 10 solved it completely. So here, a Windows version not meant for the UEFI update was more compatible.

That is why I tried this time to gather information to understand what is going on with these UEFI updates, and why they are made Windows-version specific.

There is definitely an overdose of UEFI updates like you mentioned, too many and too frequently indeed; but I trust these people know what they do, don't they? 🙂 After all, they built the machines that are being updated; which is a far more complicated feat in my opinion.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation