Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

After the battery recall came in I ran HP support assistant to both run the required updates and check my battery.
My battery will need to be replaced which is scheduled and shipped for next week.

Unfortunately after doing all of the updates, I have a frequent (90%)BSOD upon a wake from sleep. The error is ' page fault in non-paged area.'  This started only after the bios update to 1.21 and I accepted the "battery safe mode" option. Before accepting that option, I was not having any issue.

Thinking it was related to the battery, I rolled back to the prior Bios. The error still occurs.

I do not have a system restore point ( i know, stupid. I didn't know it was turned off)

Is there any reccomended method of diagnosing and repairing this without wiping my system clean? I have an intense code training starting next week and i'm set up and ready to go as-is.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi G3StudioDTW,

This may occur from file corruption so we could do a few simple scans which may take some time. I can't assure this will work, however.

1. Open a CMD window as an administrator.
2. Type or paste ‘chkdsk /f /r’ and hit Enter.
3. Allow the process to complete.

or

1. Open a CMD window as an administrator.
2. Type or paste ‘sfc /scannow’ and hit Enter.
3. Allow the process to complete.

Regards,

kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

I believe i tried this last week.

Ended up stopping at 17% and hung and I had to reboot. I'll try again when i get home.

HP Recommended

I was able to successfully complete the chkdsk.

I still had the error, this time on a cold boot (not a wake from sleep or anything).

Any next steps?

HP Recommended

Hi G3StudioDTW,

Have you tried sfc /scannow?

I'm pretty sure the battery safe mode option is somehow causing this. 

Sorry for being lazy but I did find two articles regarding this issue. The first one includes my proposed solutions plus additional ones. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128626/fix-windows-error-page-fault-nonpaged-area.html

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-page-fault-in-nonpaged-area-bsod-in-windows-10

Because removing and reinserting RAM is a viable solution, I recommend trying it when the battery arrives. Either replacing the battery or reinserting the RAM might work.

Hopefully you'll find a solution,

kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

I have not tried the sfc /scannow but will try that when I get home.

The battery got replaced today by the service tech. I didn't ask him to reset the ram bc I don't want to start screwing things unecessarily with that because they're 16gb dimms (pricey) and I don't want to run any risks with them unless i have to.

Since the battery safe mode option is no longer needed, I will try re-installing the BIOS update as well to see if that runs cleanly.

I noticed that I have a 2nd M.2 slot when the machine was apart. If i need to re-image, I may add another drive... Time to mine the forums!

HP Recommended

I did the sfc /scannow procedure and it completed successfully with no issues.

I also did the bios update to 1.24.  Are there any dump files i could be reviewing for this type of error?

HP Recommended

Run like BlueScreenView to see what causes the BSOD if it's set to create minidumps.

HP Recommended

Bluescreenview indicated ntoskrnl.exe which is never really helpful.  (i've sinced learned to use WhoCrashed)

Nonetheless i ended up calling HP support. MS pushed an intel driver update that was incompatible with the Zbook Studio g3. I rolled back the driver to the HP supported one and it fixed that issue immediately. 

I then had another BSOD of the same type with a slightly different address after the ntosktnl.exe.   I used WhoCrashed to look that one up. It pointed to the intel wifi driver. Rolled back to the HP supported one and it worked fine.

Hp support suggested i shut off all the automatic Windows 10 driver updates and just manually run the softpaq downloader.

HP Recommended

Interesting, thnx for the feedback, will keep my eyes open for those drivers then.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.