Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 13-ba0999nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Why...  why would HP be so completely stupid ?

In the 20 years I've worked as a software developer, I have never had a keyboard where I've had to Google to find out how to type a backslash character on my keyboard.

I've never had a keyboard (Swiss-German) which requires THREE keypresses to get a backslash  (Fn + Atr Gr + L).

This is a business laptop, I need to do work on it.

And, after owning it for less than an hour, I know I'll never use it, certainly not for programming (which is my job).

How do I send this ***bleep*** back ?

And why doesn't the HP Store let me leave a review to WARN potential victims, errr, customers, about this dreadful design decision ?

By the way, I was patient, I did watch the "How to get the most out of your keyboard" video which was displayed after Windows 10 had finished setting itself up.  I clicked on the link to get extra help, which took me to this page...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06617170

but it doesn't mention Swiss-German keyboards.    German keyboards are listed here... but they don't seem to have backslash on their L keys.

Why ?!!   Why would HP do this to us ?!!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI@MikeInSwitzerla, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Steps to drain the Static charge and loading default BIOS settings to resolve the issue

Step 01. Turn OFF the Notebook

Step 02. Un-plug the Power/AC Adapter and also remove the Battery too

Step 03. Press and hold the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minute

Step 04. Now let's re-insert the battery back in and plug back the Power/AC Adapter

Step 05. Start the Notebook and keep tapping F10 Key during the startup to access the BIOS

Step 06. Once you get to the BIOS, Please press F5 Key to load setup defaults for the BIOS

Step 07. Now let's press Esc/Escape Key. Save Changes and Exit - Yes

Step 08. Now please wait till the Unit loads the Windows Operating system

Now check if the function keys are working normal if not we can try and re-install the Quick launch drivers for your Notebook

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again  

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Interesting suggestion.   Please could you explain to me how "powering down my laptop and restarting it" is going to make a physical key appear on the keyboard ?

And explain how I can leave a review on your website.  

HP Recommended

Final words:

HP were kind enough to let me return the HP Envy 13" laptop, and I now have a 14" HP Pavilion x360 laptop instead.  As a web developer, this is a much better laptop, particularly for web developers, it has a proper <, >, \ key, yet it still has space for a fingerprint reader.

I just wish HP would display photos of the localized keyboards, e.g. so potential Swiss customers can see how their Swiss German keyboard will look like.... rather than always just seeing a photo of a British QWERTY keyboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.