Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook x360 1040 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I noticed a 7% reduction in the battery load level in 7 hours period when the Notebook was switched off.

I mean Shut down, not sleep mode.

Also, the battery that specifications for operation up to 17 hours lasts for no more than 4.5 hours.

Is there a known problem, or is there someone else with a similar issue ?

thanks

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Due to Microsoft's new power management features that are enabled by the 'Modern Standby' technology, doing a Start/Shutdown may not necessarily truly power off all motherboard components... this is new technology you will see adopted by all vendors going forward and changes how laptops/tablets behave

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby

You can test by powering down hard, pressing the power button for at least 5 seconds... See if battery drain is the same

oh, the benefits of new technology 🙂

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Due to Microsoft's new power management features that are enabled by the 'Modern Standby' technology, doing a Start/Shutdown may not necessarily truly power off all motherboard components... this is new technology you will see adopted by all vendors going forward and changes how laptops/tablets behave

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/modern-standby

You can test by powering down hard, pressing the power button for at least 5 seconds... See if battery drain is the same

oh, the benefits of new technology 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for the answer. I see.

After googling, I found some suggestions like:

"If you want to try what’s the effect of disabling Connecting Standby, aka InstantGo on your system, here’s how to disable the Connected Standby feature:

Run Registry Editor (regedit).
Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
Change the value for CsEnabled from 1 to 0."

but, I don't know if the trick may bypass the collaboration of hardware and software.

I will try it anyway.

regards

George

HP Recommended

You can certainly try that out and see what behavior you observe... If things don't work as expected, then you can change it back... I do want to let you know that HP only tests our systems' drivers and BIOS with Modern Standby on the systems that already require it as per Microsoft and can't comment what you may see when you change that setting

HP Recommended

Hi,

before testing, in addition to the above, I enabled the suspend mode to Intel wireless card in Device Manager, then I shut down my notebook.

The batery level was 59%.

After 9 hours, the betery level (including boot) is 58%.

I think the above suggestion helps.

regards

George

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.