Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8560p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have the HP EliteBook 8560p since 2011 and up until now it served me very well. Unfortunately, I am currently expiriencing (what seems to be) a common problem, but none of the usual solutions work for me.

PROBLEM:

- While I was working on my computer, the screen went dark, but music kept playing. I attempted to restart the computer and since then experienced the following scenario every time:

- Press the power button, lights and fan turn on, but the screen remains black (no cursor, no faded image)

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS THAT DID NOT WORK:

- remove battery, use only adapter

- Hard reset (held power button for over 60sec to drain capacitors)

- Update BIOS (hold WIN + B key while powering on)

- reseat RAM chips

- leave computer running without battery on power adapter to charge BIOS battery (left to charge for over 6 hours)

- check BIOS battery voltage - OK with a little over 3V

FOUND SYPMTOM:

- I connected an external monitor to see if I can get an image on it. By changing screens with FN+F4 keys I managed to see some weird patterns. The screen is mostly black, but intermittently I can see the following image:

Patterns I can see on external monitor.Patterns I can see on external monitor.

QUESTION:

- Do you have a clue what the problem could be?

Would it be worth fixing on a almost 7-year-old computer?

- (I can only assume it is something more substantial like a motherboard failure?)

Thank you for any suggestions or help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.