2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Black screen, no common solutions work

HP Recommended
EliteBook 8560p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have the HP EliteBook 8560p since 2011 and up until now it served me very well. Unfortunately, I am currently expiriencing (what seems to be) a common problem, but none of the usual solutions work for me.

PROBLEM:

- While I was working on my computer, the screen went dark, but music kept playing. I attempted to restart the computer and since then experienced the following scenario every time:

- Press the power button, lights and fan turn on, but the screen remains black (no cursor, no faded image)

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS THAT DID NOT WORK:

- remove battery, use only adapter

- Hard reset (held power button for over 60sec to drain capacitors)

- Update BIOS (hold WIN + B key while powering on)

- reseat RAM chips

- leave computer running without battery on power adapter to charge BIOS battery (left to charge for over 6 hours)

- check BIOS battery voltage - OK with a little over 3V

FOUND SYPMTOM:

- I connected an external monitor to see if I can get an image on it. By changing screens with FN+F4 keys I managed to see some weird patterns. The screen is mostly black, but intermittently I can see the following image:

Patterns I can see on external monitor.Patterns I can see on external monitor.

QUESTION:

- Do you have a clue what the problem could be?

Would it be worth fixing on a almost 7-year-old computer?

- (I can only assume it is something more substantial like a motherboard failure?)

Thank you for any suggestions or help!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation