Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Studio G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I  cannot get my battery to fully charge. It charges to 79% and that's all....... the battery icon shows mains connected but the battery light stays orange until disconnected. After completing all the published trouble shooting exercises I assumed a faulty battery but it's not the case.

I have unistalled the drivers, disconnected battery, discharged capacitors/memory by holding down off switch for more than 30s. The only thing I haven't done is disconnect the BIOS back up battery, too scary.

I took the decision to replace the battery with a factory original and that had no effect either. Getting really fed up now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This (very) likely a BIOS setting to help prevent battery swelling... HP Introduced new charging algorithms in a BIOS application with the setting 'Battery Health Manager'... one of the settings - and the one you probably have in your laptop - is 'Maximize my Battery Health', which charges to about 80% and stops... this prevents systems charging process to overheat the battery and keep it lasting longer... This is absolutely recommended for systems that have been in use for a year or longer, and especially now in the Work-From-Home environment where laptops tend to be on charge at a home 24x7... If you have a new battery installed, use the laptop as a mobile device (not plugged in all the time) and want to get longer battery time, you can switch the setting (if you have access to the BIOS) to 'Let HP Manage My Battery Health', which is the setting default for new systems

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This (very) likely a BIOS setting to help prevent battery swelling... HP Introduced new charging algorithms in a BIOS application with the setting 'Battery Health Manager'... one of the settings - and the one you probably have in your laptop - is 'Maximize my Battery Health', which charges to about 80% and stops... this prevents systems charging process to overheat the battery and keep it lasting longer... This is absolutely recommended for systems that have been in use for a year or longer, and especially now in the Work-From-Home environment where laptops tend to be on charge at a home 24x7... If you have a new battery installed, use the laptop as a mobile device (not plugged in all the time) and want to get longer battery time, you can switch the setting (if you have access to the BIOS) to 'Let HP Manage My Battery Health', which is the setting default for new systems

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I keep my laptop updated with all HP recommendations. Your answer makes perfect sense. The reason I was worried is because the battery charging light is still illuminated even though it is not charging which would lead one to believe there is a battery fault. Something to consider perhaps as the replacement battery isn't cheap.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.