Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a 2019 Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1004na, which I powered up for the first time three days ago 27.8.2019. Almost immediately I noticed the CPU was overheating. Initially I resolved all recommended actions from HP Support Assistant. From forums I found that overheating may be due to preinstalled bloatware and pending driver updates. I manually uninstalled unnecessary software and updated drivers. This did not resolve the problem. I downloaded RealTemp CPU temperature monitoring software, which indicated that all 6 cores are regularly overheating to 90+ degrees C. Can the issue be resolved or is this a faulty machine that needs to be returned?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Tatti,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

HP does not recommend to use Third party measuring apps as they are not tested by HP and may not be accurate. 

Let's start off by running an extensive system test from F2: 

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second.

When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are

shown on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it

available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in

Test Logs on the main menu.

If the test fails then this could be a possible hardware failure with the notebook. I would recommend you contact our HP support team for setting up a service.

If the test passes, then this could be software or driver related. 

Let's try running the Windows update troubleshooter.

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Now I would suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

You may also perform all the prescribed steps from this link: HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the Laptop to Prevent Overheating

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thank you very much for the recommendations.

The extensive systems test did not indicate any component failure. Both windows update troubleshooter and windows update check did not come up with any pending updates. HPSA did not recommend any updates or actions. After running the extensive systems tests, my CPU temperatures were 90+ C for a good 15 minutes after rebooting.

I ran into another issue with the product aswell. When producing sound from the inbuilt speakers, the keys on the left and right edges of the laptop keyboard rattle. I spent a while checking driver updates and fiddling around with audio settings, but eventually realized that the issue was due to mechanical rattling. The rattling occurs very noticeably already at around 50% volume. As this is a mechanical issue, I doubt the problem can be resolved without replacing the product.

Due to these two ongoing issues (one of which I do not belive can be resolved), I believe the best course of action would be to return the product and request a refund.

HP Recommended

@Tatti,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.