Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
1030 x360 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've just bought the Elitebook x360 1030 g2.

I've an issue the keys for adjusting brightness (f2 + f3) don't work, i 've updated BIOS and still not working. I can adjust the brightness from the taskbar, but for example when i'm in Sureview mode, they brightness did not change neither.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello

if you have the embedded privacy filter called Sure View , F2 enable and disable it.

To change the brightness you have to use F3 and F4.

Bye

HP Recommended

I found the solution to my same issue was on this page:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Screen-brightness-change-fn-keys-not-...

After updating the drivers and firmware via HP Support Assistant, and HP Image Assistant, the buttons didn't seem to ever want to work.

Here are the steps to get them working again.

1) Go into the Device Manager

2) Expand Keyboards

3) Right click on the "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard for HP Hotkey Support"

4) Choose Update Driver

5) Click on "Browse my computer for driver software"

6) Click "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"

7) Select Standard PS/2 Keyboard

😎 Restart after it finishes and asks you to.

9) Celebrate your success of having working keyboard brightness buttons by taking your friend out to lunch at Chili's.

HP Recommended

That is because for some reason, you do not need to press the fn key to use the hot keys.  Just press the desired key and brightness and or volume will change.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for detailed steps.

But these are not working at my side. I updated my laptop yesterday and still, brightness keys don't work.

HP Recommended

Here also problems with the brightness keys. Running Windows 1803. Normal I don't use them, I use the menu on the side. But now I hit fn + P by accident. Now the sureview is so dark I can't read it anymore. And now I realy need the brightness keys. The rest of the key like volume a.s.o. are working fine.

Please help

HP Recommended

see my message #4 above

HP Recommended

I've read the message 😉 but it doesn't work ;). Also tried to fix the driver. I can only turn sureview on and of but not in or decrease the privacy level.

But thnx for your fast reply

HP Recommended

After what I assume to be the 1803 update, the driver fix no longer seems to work for resolving the hotkey issue.  I have no other useful information to contribute about this right now, unfortunately.

HP Recommended

None of the so called solutions work. This problem began when windows was updated and I've tried every suggested solution to no avail. If someone could nail down what update file caused it that would great...maybe only a reinstall will correct it? Any new suggestions would be welcomed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.