Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ZBook Studio G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Last week I bought a HP ZBook Studio G5 workstation. When I wanted to use the SD card reader I would tried to take out the faceplate of the SD card reader (e.g. the 'fake SD card' in the SD slot). This did not work first, it was jammed. After trying a few times, the faceplate came out but was partly broken. Now the faceplate moves smoothly from the SD card slot. So I think it was stuck once because of the production process.

Can I receive a new SD card faceplate? I can not find this product (code) anywhere. And does it fall within the warranty (just 1 week old)?

Sincerely,

Sjors

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@SjorssW

I am not sure I understand what you removed/broke. I don't have a ZBook but every HP laptop I have used the last few years has a simple spring loaded card reader. You push the card in till it seats firmly. To remove it you give it a quick little push and it ejects enough to grasp the edge and remove.

Your User Guide has same directions:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-zbook-studio-g5-mobile-workstation/18865653/manuals

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

As previously mentioned in the forums, the dummy card in my now ten day old ZBook Studio x360 G5 was also very well stuck - to the point where I had a service call set up to replace the card reader when parts were available. After discussion with another owner I got brave enough to apply enough force to extract it.

I am guessing your dummy card is the same design as mine on the x360 version.

I have my doubts your dummy card is partly broken unless you managed to snap the part that goes flush to the faceplate. That silver part should pivot slightly within the two grey pieces that form the body of the card. The two grey pieces are glued together; after my extraction battle they had come unglued, but pressure stuck them back together.

Having extracted the dummy, I probably won't put it back in case I can't get it out again or it breaks in the slot.

If you have the x360 version, did you get a charging cable for your pen or any instructions for it? It seems these were omitted from all ZBook Studio x360 G5 shipments.

The pen charges with a USB-C cable; the charging socket is under a small rubber flap that you lift with your fingernail at the top of the pen, next to the word CHINA. The light in the side switch goes white whilst charging and out when fully charged.

To pair the pen, touch the pen to the screen, press and hold the top button for 5 seconds until the light in the side switch flashes blue, then Bluetooth pair the pen in the normal way.

I wonder if your system was supplied with Windows 10 version 1709 installed - mine certainly was. You can upgrade to 1803, though found I had to uninstall the GPU(s) from Device Manager before Windows reboots to install (at least you did on my system with just the nVidia GPU enabled because it has DreamColor, which does not work in Hybrid Graphics mode). The GPU driver(s) will reinstall once Windows reboots. This is a known bug in Windows 10 1803 - hopefully 1809 will install more cleanly when it emerges.

HP Recommended

That was the word I was looking for: a dummy card. The dummycard of my ZBook G5 consist of a small lip which I can pull out, after which I can pull this lip to pull out the entire dummy card. This small lip is broken.

Does anyone know where I can get a new dummy card for my ZBook G5?

@David_J_W: I don't have a x360, so I don't have a touchscreen nor a pen. Now I have Windows version1803, but after the initial upgrading to this version (the first day I received my new laptop) the HP didn't boot-up, so I have to restore to a clean version of Windows after which a upgrade was succesfully done.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.