cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
EagleEye208
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

Can EliteBook 850 G5 support Thunderbolt to Pavilion 27 Quantum Dot Display USB-C DP Port (5DQ99AA)?

HP Recommended
EliteBook 850 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought a 5DQ99AA Pavilion 27 monitor. I am attempting to use the EliteBook 850 G5 Thunderbolt port to connect directly to the displays USB C DP port (E.g. USB-C to USB-C). This is not working with no video signal. Is that by design?

If this is not how the Displays USB-C DP port is suppose to work, what situation would call for actually using that port (E.g. what HP equipment actually support using that USB-C DP port on this monitor).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
95,681 64,395 12,398 21,349
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@EagleEye208 

The specs says

Support HD decode, DX12, HDMI 1.4b, HDCP 2.2 via HDMI/DisplayPort up to 4K @60 Hz
Both UMA and discrete configurations support three independent displays through docking stations as follows:

• HP Docking Station - maximum resolution = 2.5K @60Hz (DisplayPort 1) and 2.5K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2)
  • HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock - maximum resolution = 4K @60Hz (DP1) and 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2)
  • HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W or 230W G2 - maximum resolution = 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 1) and 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2) with Thunderbolt

Sounds like you need a middle man called docking station. My machine is an HP 840 G5 and it mates perfectly with my USB-C Gen 4 dock.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
95,681 64,395 12,398 21,349
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@EagleEye208 

The specs says

Support HD decode, DX12, HDMI 1.4b, HDCP 2.2 via HDMI/DisplayPort up to 4K @60 Hz
Both UMA and discrete configurations support three independent displays through docking stations as follows:

• HP Docking Station - maximum resolution = 2.5K @60Hz (DisplayPort 1) and 2.5K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2)
  • HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock - maximum resolution = 4K @60Hz (DP1) and 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2)
  • HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W or 230W G2 - maximum resolution = 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 1) and 4K @60Hz (DisplayPort 2) with Thunderbolt

Sounds like you need a middle man called docking station. My machine is an HP 840 G5 and it mates perfectly with my USB-C Gen 4 dock.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>

View solution in original post

EagleEye208
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds like you need a middle man called docking station.

Yeah it would appear so. Just seems odd that Mac computers have allowed Direct USB-C to USB-C from laptops to monitors this way since 2017, but HP still requires a Dock (upsell) to do the same thing *shrug*

I thank my lucky stars I didn't buy a E27U for this setup. That would have been an even more expensive monitor/laptop mismatch.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation