Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pro x2 612 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I intend to buy the HP Pro x2 612 G2 detachable PC.  This computer has only one USB-C port which is also used for connectivity and charging.

I will use this computer to deliver presentations with a projector.  Therfore I will buy the HP USB-C Travel Dock (part # T0K29AA) and connect it to the computer's single USB-C port.  The HP USB-C Travel Dock has two USB ports, one of them is a USB-C port. 

The setup will be: the computer will be connected to the HP USB-C Travel Dock and the power supply will be connected to the USB-C port on the HP USB-C Travel Dock. 

So the question is:   can the HP Pro x2 612 G2 computer be charged via the HP USB-C Travel Dock?

Please help.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please confirm I would be able to connect the power supply to the first USB-C port on the HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC, and connect the HP USB-C Travel Hub to the second USB-C port on the computer.  Will this work?

Yes.  There are two USB-C port on the Folio and you can use them at the same time.

How much faster will charging with the HP USB-C Travel Power Adapter 65W (X7W50AA) be as opposed to using the 45w adapter?  is it a notable difference or a slight improvement?

I don't have exact metrics but the 65W adapater will allow you to do a "fast charge" which will charge the unit to from 0% to 50% in 30 min.

I forgot to mention that I am opting only for a fanless computer.  I believe the EliteBook x360 1030 G2 has a fan, thus I have focused on the EliteBook Folio G1 which is fanless .  Any suggestions regarding any other HP made fanless computers are most welcome.

For a traditional clam shell commerical notebook the EliteBook Foilio is a great selection.  There is another Skylake notebook, the EliteBook 1030 G1 that was also fanless.  However, it only has 1 USB Type-C 3.0 (data only charging port) unlike the EliteBook Folio which has (2) USB Type-C™ ports with Thunderbolt support (docking, charging and USB 3.1).

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The USB-C Travel Dock does not have a USB-C port on the dock.  The dock has an HDMI port, a VGA port, an RJ45 port and two USB-A ports.  One of the USB-A ports is a USB 3.0 port (note the SS above the port).  If you wish to charge the 612 x2 G2 via the dock while presenting you will need a different dock.

Here are some ideas.

HP USB-C Travel Hub (Z9G82AA)

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA6-9305ENW.pdf

This Travel Hub provides 1 HDMI port, 1 VGA port, 2 USB-A ports and a USB-C power in port.

If you want more capabilities from the dock.

HP Elite USB-C Dock (X7W54AA)

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA6-3246ENW.pdf

This dock will allow you to charge the 612 x2 G2 and provide you with a USB-C port (SS), 4 USB-A ports (2 of which are SS), an RJ45 port, 2 DisplayPorts, 1 HDMI port and an audio jack.  The dock also comes with a USB-C cable to attach the dock to the 612 x2 G2.  

This is a larger dock but it will allow you to connect nearly anything you with to the 612 x2 G2 while still being able to charge the system.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  It was very helpful.

I now realize that the single USB-C port on the HP Pro x2 612 G2 computer is a critical single point of failure.  If this port fails then there is no charging and no video connectivity.

Accordingly, I will opt to purchase the HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC which has two USB-C ports and comes with a 45 W Smart USB Type-C™ AC adapter.  I will also buy the HP USB-C Travel Hub (Z9G82AA)

With this computer and travel hub I assume I will be able to work in either of these two modes:

1. Connect the power supply to the first USB-C port on the HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC, and then connect the HP USB-C Travel Hub to the second USB-C port on the computer. Both the computer and the hub will be powered by the 45 W Smart USB Type-C™ AC adapter that is connected directly to the computer.

1. Connect the HP USB-C Travel Hub to the first USB-C port on the HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC, and then connect the power supply to USB-C port on the HP USB-C Travel Hub. The second USB-C port on the computer will remain free or will be used for another peripheral. Both the computer and the hub will be powered by the 45 W Smart USB Type-C™ AC adapter that is connected directly to the travel hub.

Please confirm that these two modes will work, and that the power from the 45 W Smart USB Type-C™ AC adapter will suffice in both modes. 

If not then do I need to buy the HP USB-C Travel Power Adapter 65W (X7W50AA#ABA) to make this work.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

You can use the USB-C Travel HUB with the HP EliteBook Folio G1.  

The HP USB-C Travel Power Adapter 65W (X7W50AA) will allow you to charge the system faster than the 45W adapater.  You can use either adapter with the Travel HUB.

The USB-C AC adapter will plug into the Travel Hub and the Travel Hub will plug into a USB-C port on the EliteBook.  This will charge the EliteBook while connected to the Travel Hub and leave you with an open USB-C port on the EliteBook.

Keep in mind the EliteBook Folio G1 has a Skylake Processor.

You might also want to look at the EliteBook x360 1030 G2.  It is still the same size as the Folio but the screen is a little larger (thinner bezel).  The x360 1030 G2 has a KabyLake Processor which is a little newer.

The x360 will be slightly heavier but they are both very good systems.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the thorough reply.

• Please confirm I would be able to connect the power supply to the first USB-C port on the HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC, and connect the HP USB-C Travel Hub to the second USB-C port on the computer.  Will this work?

• How much faster will charging with the HP USB-C Travel Power Adapter 65W (X7W50AA) be as opposed to using the 45w adapter?  is it a notable difference or a slight improvement?

• I forgot to mention that I am opting only for a fanless computer.  I believe the EliteBook x360 1030 G2 has a fan, thus I have focused on the EliteBook Folio G1 which is fanless .  Any suggestions regarding any other HP made fanless computers are most welcome.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Please confirm I would be able to connect the power supply to the first USB-C port on the HP EliteBook Folio G1 Notebook PC, and connect the HP USB-C Travel Hub to the second USB-C port on the computer.  Will this work?

Yes.  There are two USB-C port on the Folio and you can use them at the same time.

How much faster will charging with the HP USB-C Travel Power Adapter 65W (X7W50AA) be as opposed to using the 45w adapter?  is it a notable difference or a slight improvement?

I don't have exact metrics but the 65W adapater will allow you to do a "fast charge" which will charge the unit to from 0% to 50% in 30 min.

I forgot to mention that I am opting only for a fanless computer.  I believe the EliteBook x360 1030 G2 has a fan, thus I have focused on the EliteBook Folio G1 which is fanless .  Any suggestions regarding any other HP made fanless computers are most welcome.

For a traditional clam shell commerical notebook the EliteBook Foilio is a great selection.  There is another Skylake notebook, the EliteBook 1030 G1 that was also fanless.  However, it only has 1 USB Type-C 3.0 (data only charging port) unlike the EliteBook Folio which has (2) USB Type-C™ ports with Thunderbolt support (docking, charging and USB 3.1).

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Hi Joel,

Thanks for all the information and prompt replies.

Your professional assistance was what I needed in this selection process.

I will proceed to purchase the Folio G1 with the aforementioned peripherals.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.