Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have a HP Elitebook 840 G5. I bought the Powerbank from HP to use for my laptop.

First i had some issues as i could not charge it through the chargers i had. But finally i was able to use my managers USB-C charger for his Elitebook X360. That worked. (Needed 45W+).

But when trying to charge my laptop with this powerbank it didn´t work. We alse tried my managers USB-C charger for my laptop but it didn´t work either.

So, the question is, can i charge my laptop via USB-C. Or is it only the 3.5mm charger i can use?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello

I use an 840 G5. Usually I use it connected to a docking (Ultraslim or Thunderbolt G2) but I can charge it using the 4mm barrel connector or using an USB-C charger from another model.

So 840 G5 can be charged either from 4 mm barrel connector and USB-C.

Minimum Power supply is 45 W, even better if you use a 65W to keep the power supply temperature lower.

How do you connect the HP Power Bank to the 840 G5 ?

as HP had more that one Power Bank model, could you be more precise on which modelo do you have and which port are you using on Power Bank to connect the Elitebook 840 G5 ?

Bye

HP Recommended

@TryToDoMybest wrote:

Hello

I use an 840 G5. Usually I use it connected to a docking (Ultraslim or Thunderbolt G2) but I can charge it using the 4mm barrel connector or using an USB-C charger from another model.

So 840 G5 can be charged either from 4 mm barrel connector and USB-C.

Minimum Power supply is 45 W, even better if you use a 65W to keep the power supply temperature lower.

How do you connect the HP Power Bank to the 840 G5 ?

as HP had more that one Power Bank model, could you be more precise on which modelo do you have and which port are you using on Power Bank to connect the Elitebook 840 G5 ?

Bye

Hi 

Ok, thanks. It should be able to charge through the USB C then. Good to know. I start to think that something is wrong with my laptop. 

The USB-C Powerbank i use is this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2NA10AA-AC3-HP-USB-C-NOTEBOOK-POWER-BANK-2NA10AA-AC3-Phones-Power-Banks-/...

I connect it with the included USB C cable from the USB-C connector on the side that should be use for Laptop charging. Nothing happens.

I´ve also tried my managers USB C adapter (45W) he uses to charge he´s Elitebook X360. Nothing happens here either.

So basically i can only use the 3.5mm connector to charge. (Or with my docking station at work).

HP Recommended

On that Power Bank there are 2 USB-C ports.

The one close to the USB 3.0 port should provide 5V only , the other USB-C ports, on the longer side of the PB, should be used for Power Input to charge the battery included in the Power Bank, and as Power Out at 15V 3A to provide power to the notebook.

Did you try to connet the 840 G5 to either one or the other of USB-C ports ?

bye

HP Recommended

Yes i have tried all three I/O´s on the Powerbank. When using the 2 ones on the top (USB-C and USB-A) my laptop says the Power is to low. (As it should).

When i use the USB-C connector on the longer side nothing happens at all. Same situation when using the AC adapter with an USB-C connector. Nothing happens.

The "power" function in the C connector must be broken or something. Can´t think of anything else.

I only have one USC-C port on my laptop. And it has a little "lighting" on it.

Unless there is some kind of setting i´m missing. Might be the time to report this malfunction to my IT department.

HP Recommended

Hello

let my ask you a stupid question.

I see a smal button , looking to the image of the Power Bank. did you try to press it , while the 840 G5 is connected to the 45W USB-C port ?

do you have in your company a USB-C Docking with a 90W port supply or a Thunderbolt docking , in order to verify 100% that the USB-C connector of 840 G5 has issue with power IN.

Bye

HP Recommended

Hi.

Hehe, not a stupid question. Yes, i have tried that to. Nothing happens

I´ve also tried with the charger from the USB-C docking station my manager has. The charger is 90W and it goes through the docking station so i gess it´s not 90W i get. But definately more than 45W. And it still doesn´t work. Actually get an error message that the USB connector is not recognized. (I think they need to work some more on the USB-C drivers).

So something is wrong.

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I have the same this issue but i'm using HP Elitebook 830 G5. I can not charge my laptop via USB C port. AS my known, that is thunderbolt port, i had setup thunderbolt driver into my laptop but still can not charging. Any thing new for this?

Đang làm việc tại https://saigonapp.com
SaiGonApp là dịch vụ nhận thiết kế Web trọn gói, chuyên nghiệp, Website giá rẻ chỉ từ 1tr800k tại TPHCM, Hà Nội, Bình Dương cho cá nhân/công ty.
HP Recommended

Hello

I kwon someone fiexe this issue updating the BIOS to latest version available here :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-830-g5-notebook-pc/18477184/...

Then chekc in device manager is all USB devices are ok.

bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.