Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook folio 1040g1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hi all.  was using this 1040 on friday, on battery, and had no issue getting through 90 minutes of use on battery.  tried to plug in to charge on sunday.  i had succesfully booted, and then got a low battery warning.  plugged in, but did not see the icon change to show ‘charging’.  the low battery warning remained, so i put the machine into hibernate.. there’s very little battery remaining, so i am hoping to minimize any on-time before the battery is completely dead.

i’m using the factory charger and never had an issue with it. laptop battery has been replaced once with a factory battery. i dont have access to a second 1040 to check the adapter, but do believe the adapter to be working somewhat, as the charge light next to the laptop’s power plug flashes 8 and 1/2 times immediately after plugging in.  to clarify, i see 8 regular flashes, followed by a very short 9th flash.  if i plug the laptop in before plagging the adapter into the wall socket, i get no flashes, and no charge happening.  if i plug the adapter into the wall first, then plug in the laptop, this is when i see the charge light goes through its flash routine.

any diagnotics and suggestions would be welcomed.

many thanks in advance

cheers

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I would shut it down completely-not hibernate- and plug it in for awhile to see if any change. I have seen some reports of a failing charger not charging unless the laptop is shut down completely. If you manage to get enough charge overnight to boot the laptop I would use diagnostics, component tests to test battery and charger.

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This will open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap F2 key and run the Component tests.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

hi and thank you for the prompt reply.  in the time since, i’ve completely shut down and will attempt to charge overnight.  my first instinct, given that i continue to see the same flashing light pattern, is that the overnight charge won’t succeed.  however time will tell and i will post an update.

again, thank you.  

cheers.

HP Recommended

A hard reset/power reset may help before trying the overnight charge. Good luck.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

update... completed a hard reset and left the laptop on charge overnight.  the battery is completely flat, as it would not boot.

will look for other ways of checking the adapter and battery and provide a further update.

thanks and cheers.

HP Recommended
Update...
Replacement battery arrived, installed. Same result. Was thinking that the mobo was the issue. Opened up the laptop again and inspected the power input connection to the mobo. Removed and re-inserted the connector between the mobo and the PC power socket/plug. Powered on again, and pc was now charging. Yay. Bottom line - don't know if the old battery was indeed dead, or if the issue was the mobo power connector/socket. But all is well. Thanks for the suggestions. Ciao
HP Recommended

I have the same problem on Elite X2 tablet. What do the eight flashes mean? I have already replaced the battery, same result.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.