Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp probook g4 450
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am really confused and when making decision regarding the purchase of HP laptops in Pakistan customers are in doubt that HP laptops sold by the local vendors are either refurbished or the warranty which they claim is fake. I recently bought HP probook g4 450. While I was surfing the market there was an opinion that was revolving i.e. if you'll buy this notebook and if its without the backlit keyboard then it is refurbished. Is it so ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Possible I guess...on that particular SKU it looks like backlit was an option, not standard:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=7834555#!tab=specs

Look under "expansion"...you can also go into HP Support Assistant and run the battery test and see how many cycles it has on it and its born on date. That will give you some idea if that battery has had any use or if the battery is much newer than the rest of the laptop. 

You can also check warranty status on the HP website by serial number. 

Is the laptop working OK? 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Look at the Product Number on the box or in the system properties...fn + esc. If there is an R in it then the unit is factory refurbished. Can't really tell if a unit is privately refurbished. Official specs say the keyboard is backlit so if you run across one with a non-backlit keyboard I would be skeptical as refurbishers will often apply a new keyboard of the cheapest type so it looks new. This laptop, however, has a 7th gen Intel Core processor so there is not likely a supply of used laptops in service long enough to have worn keyboards. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying, Unluckily the laptop I bought has no backlit keybaord. I checked the product number and it says Y8A42EA#BH5, No R in it. Is it possible that this laptop originally had no backlit keyboard? 

HP Recommended

Possible I guess...on that particular SKU it looks like backlit was an option, not standard:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=7834555#!tab=specs

Look under "expansion"...you can also go into HP Support Assistant and run the battery test and see how many cycles it has on it and its born on date. That will give you some idea if that battery has had any use or if the battery is much newer than the rest of the laptop. 

You can also check warranty status on the HP website by serial number. 

Is the laptop working OK? 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.