Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 470 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got the above critical notice today by e-mail.  I downloaded the file, it unzipped.  When I ran the update executable, TPMConfig64.exe,  I got a message:

"Cannot find a valid TPM BIN file to do firmware switching.  It can be that the firmware is already at the version you want to  switch to."

Am I already OK?  How do I check?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Kishmir

Given your machine does have TPM, please try

(a) Go to Device Manager,

(b) Scroll down to Security Devices and expand it,

(c) Right click devices and click update driver.

The following image is on my machine 11 years old still no new update (my loan machine is only 5 months old).

udt tpm.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Kishmir

Given your machine does have TPM, please try

(a) Go to Device Manager,

(b) Scroll down to Security Devices and expand it,

(c) Right click devices and click update driver.

The following image is on my machine 11 years old still no new update (my loan machine is only 5 months old).

udt tpm.png

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My same laptop did a reboot this morning. TPM driver 6/21/2006. I didnot receive any notice  about anything.

KenW
HP Recommended

I did the steps that 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have 10  EliteBook 850 that has Infineon TPM Module.

I downloaded SP81900, run it, opened the PDF with step by step procedure and discovered that SP81900 recommends to decrypt your HDD before applying the patch.

My 10 laptops are encrypted with McAfee Drive Encryption version 7.1.3.xxx.

Did anybody tested SP81900 on an encrypted disk?

Does the patch applyes?

Or, like HP says in step by step document for the patch, the whole HDD information gets corrupted?

Thank you,

Mike

HP Recommended

Hello

you MUST decrypt the disk before to update the TPM firmware.

I suggest you to read the PDF file included in the softpaq.

Bye

HP Recommended

In the security Bulletin https://support.hp.com/lt-en/document/c05792935, TBA is written instead of a download link for several models, like 850 G1. What meens TBA?, where can we find the updated TPM firmware?

HP Recommended

TBA means "to be announced" which means it should be updated soon- although for some laptops like the HP Spectre x360 4100 series, there is also (i presume) a date of 12/22 - and we are now after 22nd December 2017 - and should have an update by now.

It has now been months where the TPM chip has a security flaw and not worked properly on my laptop, is there any update on this?

HP Recommended

see attached.  it is 01/26/2018, still a security issue for TPM.

re: TPM, first, will there EVER be an update?

QUESTIN - how to NOT USE TPM, but still use bitlocker?   you are able to run bitlocker on a machine WITHOUT tpm (entry of alphanumeric password at bootup), BUT if a machine HAS TPM, then bitlocker automatically starts using it.  I do NOT WANT the TPM, because as long as bitlocker is on the drive, I do not need any additional TPM features.

and I WANT bitlocker to have a Password entered at startup.

WITH TPM, you can require a password, but incorect entries of the password start a counter, and if that counter goes high enough for wrong entries, then you start to have to enter the RECOVERY key (48 cyaracters, nuts)

if I hvae bitlocker,then I don't NEED the TPM, and then i could care less about the firmware update.

BUT, since I AM forced to use the TPM, i do need this update !

tpm-hp-spectre-x360-20180126.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.