Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ZBOOK 15v G5 MOBILE WORKSTATION
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings,
My Zbook has an ELAN Touchpad which is intrusive in the extreme. I need to disable it permanently.

I use a wireless Logitech Trackball instead.

Even though I ticked the function to turn off the touchpad when an usb mouse is detected, the touchpad is still operating.

My usual strategy to turn-off unwanted hardware does not have the desired effect on this touchpad.

I have large hands, and, when typing a document, I might accidently brush the touchpad area; often with the result of a text block moved to another place in the document. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
The Elan Touchpad doesn't have the facility to turn-off the device by double-clicking at the top left corner of it, as on my Probook.

The BIOS provides very little - where normally I would disabled resources that were not required there is no mention of touchpad.

So, probably the last resort has to be the windows registry.

However, I don't know the string to edit in Reg-Edit.

Perhaps others here might also have tried to disable the ELan Touchpad -for ever? I'd be most grateful for assistance.

Building and Using WIndows PC's Since 1998
* My Current Notebooks are Zbook 15v G5 Windows 10 Professional
* Probook Windows Notebook
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Frogmore 

Switch off the touchpad in Settings > Devices > Touchpad

and

Set the sensitivity to "heaviest" touch needed to activate it:

Settings > Devices > Touchpad > Additional Settings > tab TouchStyk > Touch Sensitivity

and

You can disable the Double-Tap Enable / Disable option:

Settings > Devices > Touchpad > Additional Settings > tab TouchPad > clear box "Double Tap to Enable or Disable TouchPad"

Opinion

In so much that I am aware, you cannot permanently disable the touchpad without physically disconnecting it.  I would guess this is a safety feature to prevent you from losing all control over the device in the event that an external mouse fails for any reason. 

Based on

Zbook 17 G3 and my own experience with the device.

References

User Guide

Chapter 5 - Navigating the screen - starting on Page 25

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Clarification of terms and "what the device can do" (Specifications)

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ZBook 15v G5 Mobile Workstation

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur, Thank you for taking time to help me. I very much appreciate your assistance.

Most of the menu settings you have provided are appropriate I believe, for the Synaptics Touchpad device - which in my opinion, is far easier to control. My HP Probook 17 has such a device.

However, Synaptics Touchpad  is not available on my Zbook 15v G5, which has the Elan-Tech device, instead.

As such, I have yet to discover a feature that permits the Elan to be disabled or turned off. I can reduce the sensitivity, but no function is present to actually turn the touchpad off either on the device itself (as in the Synaptics) or through the Settings menu., and device manager.

Nevertheless, It is entirely possible that I have missed something, or have misunderstood your suggestions.

HP Recommended

@Frogmore 

Sorry, this is the second time I moved too fast on this one.  Too much eggnog?

One of our HP agents has provided the fix: 

Edit the registry to enable / disable the Elan touchpad when a mouse is connected.

Original Content Contributed by   HP Support Agent in Thread

1. Open Registry Editor and create a full Export of the contents and save it somewhere you can access the data if needed.
  2. Find and Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Elantech/Othersetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMousekey
  3. Change the value from 0 to 1 
  4. Close Registry Editor.
  5. Restart the computer and log in

NOTE:  This solution applies to the ELAN touchpad.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Dragon-Fur, Thank you again for your kind assistance.

I edited that string to 'on' (1).

This did not produce the desired result, and that Elantech touchpad is still active.

My suspicion is that Windows does not detect my Logitech mouse trackball M570 as an mouse - even though the M570 is functioning correctly.

I shut down the Zbook completely, removed the M570 wireless usb key, switched off the M570. I booted Zbook without the M570, then afterwards inserted the Logitech M570 key powered the trackball.

I wonder if you might know of a fix to disable the Elan Touchpad completely, and permanently, please?

My large hands frequently touch the Elan unintentionally, and makes typing a simple post such as this one, laborious.

Grateful thanks.

HP Recommended

@Frogmore 

You are welcome.

The "fix" apparently does not work for everyone.  The comments on the original thread stated this is the case.  

Is it the mouse?

• Check at the Logitech site to see if there is any way to update that Mouse software. 
  • If the problem is the mouse, try another to test.  Most of us who use the brand have a box of Logitech mice collected over time.

From your advert at the bottom of your post signature, you know more about Windows than I.  I was still working in Unix back in 1998.  Smiling.

As a means of preventing the occasional swipe of your hand over the touchpad, I would guess that it could be covered with a rectangular bit of dark colored plastic - thin enough to be unobtrusive and thick enough to prevent contact.  Double back tape would do the job.  Honestly, I would do this before I would actually risk anything permanent (disassembly, for example).  I am not a fan is permanently disabling one the main methods to communicate with the computer.

Unpleasant Elan device.

If I come across something actually useful, I will post back.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Greetings Dragon-Fur,

Ahhh UNIX

Anyone versed in UNIX and Linux is - in my opinion - a High-Born Deity. I envy those who are capable of wonderful things through the command line. I have been fascinated by the work of server management data- centre technicians and their capabilities for many years.  I, a mere mortal, have to make do with a only a fairly advanced knowledge of Windows. But there are many gaps in that knowledge.

But I digress: The continuing saga of the rogue Elan Touchpad ...

I have a number of identical  Logitech M570's  in use on several machines. I updated the firmware of all those receivers, after your suggestion. Thank you for that.

Thus far, there is still a pesky Elan Touchpad.  The previous hack of disabling the device when a USB mouse is detected by windows doesn't detect the M570.

I am happy to work in the windows registry, should someone have knowledge of a string that effectively switches the device OFF completely.

With Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.