5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Downgrading windows due to heating issue

HP Recommended
HP spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I have recently bought an HP spectre x360 laptop and though it is a gorgeous and very powerful convertible notebook, it doesn't take much time to realize that the overheating issue is a real ruining experience. After some research, I have realized that windows 10 is a main cause of overheating cases.  I have tried several tricks to overcome the problem including downvolting the CPU and shifting between active and passive modes in power options but to no avail. Though the temperature went down, it was not enough for me since the laptop was still in the 50 Celcius range and thus not comfortable to the hands beyong half an hour of use. Therefore, I have decided to downgrade to windows 7 professional since I am more comfortable using it anyway and therefore hitting 2 stones in one. After doing so the oveheating issue was solved yet was left facing another issue of having the touchscreen not working anymore due to lack of appropriate driver. Now I have done my through homework researching through your website and apparently the equired driver does not exist for my specified laptop with windows 7 installed. My question is what would you do if you were in my shoes and would replacing window 7 with windows 8.1 Classic Shell or other resolve the touchscree issue ? And do you have a driver for the latter ? Being a 2 in 1 laptop it would be a real shame to lose the touchscreen feature!

Thanks! 

9 REPLIES 9
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
134,841 124,197 20,654 31,749
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the full model number or product number of your notebook?

The product number can be found on the same label as the serial number.

Did you find the W7 graphics driver?

In other words, can you adjust the screen resolution, change the brightness, and put the PC in sleep mode?

The touchscreen has no standalone drivers for any operating system.

The touchscreen works by a combination of the graphics/ chipset drivers.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Baheej1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, 

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, yes all W7 graphics drivers have been downloaded and I can conduct all stated functions without any problem. My serial number is 5CD7367VOW and product number is 2EN81EA#A2N

What would be next ? 

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't understand how you can have the graphics working right in W7, when there are no Intel graphics drivers for any PC made with the Kaby Lake chipset--except for W10.

Did you find the way to modify the W10 driver to work on W7?

If not, try the graphics driver mod posted by BruceBTS at the link below.  You can probably use the same driver.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Windows-7-VGA-drivers-Probook-450-G4/...

And you have the USB3 ports working too?

Baheej1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Paul

All seems to be working fine in terms of graphics. USB ports seems to be working fine as well. 

What do you suggest I do next to get my touch screen work again ? Shall I download the link above nevertheless ?

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't see that you have anything to lose by giving that modded driver a try.

But if that doesn't get the touchscreen to work, unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas you can try.

Baheej1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What about installing Windows 8.1 Classic Shell ? Can that be a middle ground solution to the problem ?

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, that I do not know.

You would still have to find a way to mod the graphics driver to install W8.1 because there is only a W10 driver.

Wasn't there an update to W8.1 to make it work pretty much like W10 with a list of programs like W10 has?

Baheej1
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To telI you the truth, I am extremely disappointed by this laptop. I have checked online and apparently scores of HP spectre 360 owners are suffering the same. So far it's been a pure waste of time and money and that's the last thing to expect when supposedly investing your money in a state of the art model. That is undeniably a major failure from HP as they obviously didn't care much about their consumers. It was totally up to your R&D department to conduct the needed tests to ensure that the laptop does not overheat up to uncomfortable levels within short periods of time. While uninstalling windows 10 due to the heating issue has ruined the whole convertible laptop experience. Anyhow thank you and since I do not possess any further time to waste,  I am closing this case from my side. 

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please don't assume that I work for or represent HP, because I don't.

I am not the HP complaint dumping ground for you or anyone else.

You can direct your complaints to the HP executive team at the link below.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation