Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can the ENVY x360 case be opened? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It can be difficult sometimes to get good assistance. Anyway, I guess I will just answer the question anyway and leave it out there.

All I can say that the service rep, probably can not help you as the machine is considered non-customer upgradable and accessible. Even if it is an accepted practice to upgrade RAM and Drives as long as you do not break anything in the process.

It is a beautiful machine you have and quite upgradable.

Max RAM would be 16GB of DDR4 2400MHz. There is one slot.

Example:

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/envy-x360-15-bp152wm

You can also insert a M2 PCIe NVMe drive such as the Samsung 970 Evo Plus of your desired capacity which would really give an amazing boost to everyday performance.

On page 30 of the service manual, you can see the steps to remove the bottom cover to take a look. You can use a suction cup which will give some extra grip.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05527167

Let me know if you need any further help,

David

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@David1014 

Yes, why not ? Are you talking about warranty ? You can open during warranty year(s) BUT when no problem then no problem; when something went wrong, warranty may be voided.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

No, not about warranty. There just seems to be no seam to open it up if it were needed. I don't want to open it (and won't) but I just want to known that it can be. I just  bought it and unless it can be serviced, I don't want it. Dumb question? Maybe. But I want it answered. That's all. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you provide the exact model or product number of your Envy and we can see how this is done. Here is how to find it:

Model number

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-bp152wm

Serial # [edited]

Product # 4AL79UA

Thank you for your attempt at assistance.  However, I am no longer interested in any HP product. If getting this very simple question (can the notebook case be opened to service the guts of the machine?) answered by an actual HP customer service rep (does one exist?) is this difficult, I think I am going to return this product to the vendor and  buy a different product made by a different manufacturer. Contacting HP customer service: very frustrating process, endless redirects and dead ends - in other words, the run-around. (And I don't even have a problem; just a question.) Thank you for your time, but no thanks.  

HP Recommended

It can be difficult sometimes to get good assistance. Anyway, I guess I will just answer the question anyway and leave it out there.

All I can say that the service rep, probably can not help you as the machine is considered non-customer upgradable and accessible. Even if it is an accepted practice to upgrade RAM and Drives as long as you do not break anything in the process.

It is a beautiful machine you have and quite upgradable.

Max RAM would be 16GB of DDR4 2400MHz. There is one slot.

Example:

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/envy-x360-15-bp152wm

You can also insert a M2 PCIe NVMe drive such as the Samsung 970 Evo Plus of your desired capacity which would really give an amazing boost to everyday performance.

On page 30 of the service manual, you can see the steps to remove the bottom cover to take a look. You can use a suction cup which will give some extra grip.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05527167

Let me know if you need any further help,

David

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help. I will probably keep the machine - was just perturbed at the time before. Seemed that planned obsolescence had reached new heights (lows) if the machine could not be opened except by HP. As I understood you, it can be done but is not encouraged, especially during the warranty period. I can understand that.

I am old and retired - somewhat out of touch.  But I used computers extensively in my work as a CPA. Have done  so since the days when the hard drive sat apart from the rest of the machine, and MS- DOS was the only game in town. Now there was some work involved in that, let me tell you, to even get up and running. I did my first tax return on a computer in the days when you had to print the numbers on plain paper using a dot matrix printer and transfer them to the tax forms  using clear plastic overlays of the forms and a copy machine. The HP laser printer that actually printed the numbers on tax form was like a gift from God. 

Thank you for the frank feedback. All I wanted..

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

Amazing how tech has evolved, now in micro SD card you can hold more info than one could possibly read or understand in a lifetime.

My first PC was the 48K Sinclair Spectrum with the cassettes and then was really happy to move on to the Amiga with the "great" graphics 😀

My mother had worked with perforated cards and told me how the Computer was a whole Room.

Many computers are getting more difficult to open and upgrade/fix as most are getting integrated on the motherboard, Some, you actually need a heat gun to take apart. Probably soon, everything will be integrated on a chip ( ram/storage, CPU, GPU...)

Now, your computer. Personally, I would  upgrade the PC with some extra RAM and maybe in the future remove the Intel Optane module and Hard Drive

I would insert at least 8GB of DDR4 2400MHz in the single slot or even go with the max 16GB module

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/envy-x360-15-bp152wm#MEMORYFilters

Anyway, let me know if you need any further help.

All the best,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.