Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

Elite X2 1012 G2 + Windows 10 1703 + Elite USB-C Docking Station

HP Recommended
Elite X2 1012 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Elite X2 1012 G2 running Windows 10 Enterprise 1703 64-bit. I am trying to use an Elite USB-C Docking Station and it just will not work in the USB-C port.

Using an adaptor in the A port seems to be okay although I've not tried with extra monitors but obviously that won't charge it.

I have made sure the BIOS is up to date, reset the BIOS to defaults, it doesn't even appear in the boot selection list (ethernet or USB key) - although annoyingly it did once(!) but whatever I try now I cannot get it recognised in Windows or the boot menu.

This does seem to be an issue that quite a few people are encountering but I am yet to see a fix, has anyone got anywhere with this?

Cheers,

Phil.

12 REPLIES 12
Zincas
Level 7
Level 7
409 408 45 84
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hallo, 

Have you tried to firmware update the docking station?

if not here the link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76001-76500/sp76308.exe

hope it solves your problem.

Br

Zincas
I am an HP notebook/printer technician.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
teatimevoodoo
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Extra information:

The dock works fine with an Elite X2 1012 G1. I have just connected it and tried to update the dock firmware but it is "already up to date".

It just seems to be the latest Elite X2 that is the problem.

0 Kudos
Zincas
Level 7
Level 7
409 408 45 84
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hallo again,

Could be the issue. I would recommend you to contact your countys HP department to get the help you need on this issue.

Br.

Zincas
I am an HP notebook/printer technician.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
teatimevoodoo
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

THanks for your help Zincas

0 Kudos
TBoomer
Level 1
7 5 0 3
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How exactly can you update firmware on the dock when it doesn't connect? Explain that.

0 Kudos
TBoomer
Level 1
7 5 0 3
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So the HP Elite USB-C Dock now comes with a USB-C to USB-3 adapter. You have to use that adapter to connect the dock. Once that is done, the dock will appear. At this point you can uinstall drivers that are embedded on the dock. You also have to download and install the latest firmware update for the dock. I am not sure if the firmware update will allow the Dock to work as designed on the USB-C connector. 

0 Kudos
teatimevoodoo
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We also have a few G1 devices that do work with the dock so was able to use one of them to update the firmware.

0 Kudos
thomasboomer
Level 1
9 6 0 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well I found out that after applying all the updates to firmware for the dock and for the tablet I was using that it does not matter. This unit will not work on a USB-C port period. It is really a USB 3 dock with the wrong connector attached. So you have to use the USB-C to USB-3 adapter to make it work. 

As a side note, I used a StarTech USB-C dock, and it worked perfectly without any updates. The amazing thing to me is that HP would release this product at all knowing full well that it will not work on the USB-C port. The documentation that comes with it make no mention that it will not work on the USB-C port.

What has happened to the quality of engineering at HP? It is a joke and a humiliation that HP cannot make a USB-C dock that works properly. This product should never have been released, and the management team who decided to release it should have to answer for this colossal blunder.

0 Kudos
teatimevoodoo
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 1
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To be fair this dock does work with USB-C on the G1, just not the G2. o use a USB-C dock on the G2 you need the 'HP Elite USB-C Dock G3'!!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation