blublub
Level 2
15 8 1 1
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

EliteBook 735 G5 - BIOS Bug Class 0 password

HP Recommended

Hello community

Since I don't know where to report bugs that don't require a hardware change I thought its good place here to start.

I have a brandnew 735 G5 with BIOS version 1.00.04 - 3rd of June - and the BIOS wont let me set a SATA/NVME Class 0 password (HP drive lock).

The menu is empty and show it as if no drive is installed - I tried it with the stock HP NVME drive and an aftermarket Samsung EVO 960 NVME - wont work with bot however I can set password at both drives in a Lenovo Notebook and an older HP elitebook 1040 G3

So I am pretty sure it is bug of the current BIOS version

3 REPLIES 3
TryToDoMybest
Level 8
829 820 81 166
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

DriveLock password is a SATA command. it's not supported by PCIe/NVMe disk.

That is why you don't find a way to set the password.

It could be that when you use the NVME disk in an old computer that just use SATA interface , you are able to set the drivelock password, but I never checked it.

For use a NMVE disk installed in a system with a PCIe M.2 slot can not be protected with the drivelock password.

IF in the future something will change, I will update this post

bye

0 Kudos
blublub
Author
Level 2
15 8 1 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thx

This is just great. HP sells Elitebook notebooks with NVME drives but the scurity features dont work with those and there is no notification/mention that Drivelock only works wit M.2 SATA drives:

https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c01674996

argh!

In addition to that Class 0 and NVME does work with Thinkpads and even Ideapads from Lenovo - so it is possible.

So guess I need to get a new drive....

0 Kudos
TryToDoMybest
Level 8
829 820 81 166
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

it's not HP failure.  DriveLock is a SATA command. not available on PCIe.

What HP could do, if it's technically possible ,  is to add a similar security feature in the BIOS of business computers.

so far you can just encrypt the drive usign bitlocker or another solution.

Bye

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation