Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 2013 UltraSlim Dock
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi There,

HP's Support line is absolutely useless, I have rung 6 times in a row and when I say EliteBook it tells me about windows 10 upgrade then hangs up. Try ignoring this and try something else, get transferred and still get cut off.
Anyway, I digress...

This morning I setup the HP 2013 UltraSlim Docking Station on my desk.
When I connected the EliteBook 840 G4 the laptop does not charge and I get the "The SmartAC Adaoter is not functioning correctly." message.

I have installed the following firmware:
HP 2013 Ultraslim Docking Station DisplayPort (DP) Hub Firmware
VERSION:  2.27.000
sp72953.exe

Synaptics VMM2230 DP Hub Firmware
VERSION:  2.30.000

sp75855.exe

This has made no difference.
The laptop is using the current up to date BIOS as well.

I have tried a completely different power supply for the dock (that I know works) and still have the same issue.
The laptop charges when connected directly to it's mobile power pack.

I have tried another HP 2013 UltraSlim Docking Station that a colleague of mine is using and my laptop immediately starts charging.

Alternately his laptop will not charge when connected to my docking station.

What is going on?

The docking station is brand new, is there anything else I need to do or should I get a warranty replacement from HP?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just an update: Only a few years late...

• Firmware updates made no difference.
  • Different power supplies also made no change.

I returned it to the supplier with a detailed list of what was performed.

They also tested it and confirmed the unit was faulty and replace it immediately.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Try the current update for the dock.

First read the installation instructions for the dock that are detailed at the bottom of this document.  Following the instructions carefully.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79015.html

Once you are comfortable with the installation instructions download and install the update.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79015.exe

If the upgraded drivers do not resolve you issue it would then appear that you have a problem with the dock.  At that point I would suggest you contact HP Technical Support.  

Let them know the steps you have taken to troubleshoot the issue.

1) Installating the latest FW (2.33).

2) Attempting to use another "good" AC adapter from a seperate working dock.

3) Attempting to charge a different notebook with no sucess.

4) You are able to charge your notebook when you plug the AC adapater directly into the notebook.

Here is a link to Support Page for your dock

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-2013-UltraSlim-Docking-Station/5450893/model/5450...

In the section where it asks for the serial number, enter the serial number of the dock (found on a label on the bottom of the dock).

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

In case someone stumbles across this old post (as I did).

I had a similar problem and discovered it was because I was not using an HP power supply. When my company gave me a new HP laptop and docking station, they didn't give me a power supply, so I used my old Dell one. The Dell power supply powered the docking station just fine for the docking station but would not power the laptop. Finally, I got an HP power supply and VOILA the docking station now powers (and charges) the laptop.

HP Recommended

Just an update: Only a few years late...

• Firmware updates made no difference.
  • Different power supplies also made no change.

I returned it to the supplier with a detailed list of what was performed.

They also tested it and confirmed the unit was faulty and replace it immediately.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.